Air pump bypass and belt length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garyg

Reaction score
Can I bypass my air pump on a 1988 C1500 with the 5.7 TBI using a shorter belt? I do not want to remove the air pump. Will this cause belt fitment or clearance issues? Would I use the belt that is available for the truck without A.I.R.? The truck has A/C, and P/S.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check the parts list. Was there a model of your year with the options you have that had " no air pump " or did it have the " idler pulley in place of air pump " . That would be a simpler operation. Using stock parts, no re engineering.

Garyg

Reaction score
Yep, it worked fine on my '88, see the sticker.
You must be registered for see images attach
I got the same sticker on my truck as well. Just wondering if I left the air pump on the truck, would the new shorter belt clear it?
Is that what you did on your truck?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I left the air pump on the truck, would the new shorter belt clear it?
Is that what you did on your truck?
Yes I did, and there was plenty of room with the pump still in (as shown on the sticker). Note: if you decide to remove the A.I.R. pump, you'll need to fabricate a spacer since it uses the pump as one for the accessory bracket.

Garyg

Reaction score
Yes I did, and there was plenty of room with the pump still in (as shown on the sticker). Note: if you decide to remove the A.I.R. pump, you'll need to fabricate a spacer since it uses the pump as one for the accessory bracket.
Great thank you!