Aftermarket stereo is draining the battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yea of course haha, but a block heater doesn't keep your battery from freezing, and you don't leave it on the whole time. You only need it on for about 3 hrs before you start it, otherwise you're just making your power bill go up for no reason.

10 hours ( overnight ) at 17 cents / kwh, 400 watt heater works out to $ 0.68 cents per night. Assuming 30 days a month, that works out to $ 20.40 plus tax a month for a few months.

If ~ $ 60.00 is going to break you for 3 months out of the year, you have bigger problems.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right, you don't need it 24/7, but it's nice to leave plugged in overnight and know that it's going to start right up in the morning. You can get a battery heater as well if it gets really cold up there.

Yea I use a timer so it turns on early the morning. At work you just leave it plugged in all day though haha. I've had it start up easy at -35 though, just hard on the engine if you're doing that every day.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I use a timer so it turns on early the morning. At work you just leave it plugged in all day though haha. I've had it start up easy at -35 though, just hard on the engine if you're doing that every day.
Never understood why anybody would choose to live someplace that cold.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never understood why anybody would choose to live someplace that cold.

Ski-dooing, skating/hockey, snowboarding, snow shoeing, ice fishing. So much to do, also it's super easy to rip donuts haha, drifting with fresh snow in 4x4 is wicked fun.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, you can do all of those things to some extent where it's warm. Sub ATVs for snowmobiles and hiking for snow shoeing... and you can do donuts pretty easily on gravel out sand too... just saying

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you can do all of those things to some extent where it's warm. Sub ATVs for snowmobiles and hiking for snow shoeing... and you can do donuts pretty easily on gravel out sand too... just saying

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quading is not near the same as Ski-dooing, a ski-doo is closer to a crotch rocket on the snow, so much fun and such an adrenaline rush haha.

Either way i think this thread has digressed enough lol, to each their own.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tested your draw? Dual batteries after a week shouldn't be dead, not even close. If you have a draw that bad, it sounds like an issue with your amp (I'm assuming you have an amp with an aftermarket head unit and an after market alarm).

I'd lean more towards the 3000 watts of abuse that I can't figure out how to turn off, this should take a month or so for 1 battery lol

You must be registered for see images attach

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys, I know it's a bit of a long shot to find info about this on this site since my setup is completely aftermarket but I figured it can't hurt to ask, so...

I'm at a loss and need some advice. I have a sound system in my truck, it's been there for many years without this issue until I purchased a new deck. With this deck if I leave my truck parked for a week my battery is dead, which sucks since I leave town for work a lot. I confirmed it to be the deck by leaving it unplugged the last time I left town, came back and it was fine.

I tried just removing the face plate, still killed the battery. I double checked the wiring to make sure the power and ignition power weren't mixed up, so no power without the ignition on. I tested my REM line at both amps and neither are on without the ignition. Any suggestions on what it could be aside from just the deck being poorly designed? Anything I can do other than pulling the fuse and having to redo all the settings every time?

The deck is a simple single DIN, no GPS or anything, it's a JVC KD-AR959BS. Im pretty sure the previous deck that didn't give me issues was an Alpine, I only upgraded so I could have Bluetooth and hands free calling.

Thanks.

It's possible that your Bluetooth setting could be on all the time. On my pioneer 580bs if I don't set it up to be searching only when ignition is on, it is in constant pairing mode. My 2 cents.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible that your Bluetooth setting could be on all the time. On my pioneer 580bs if I don't set it up to be searching only when ignition is on, it is in constant pairing mode. My 2 cents.

Hmm OK I'll test that out when I get home, thanks man.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So no real progress on sorting this out, but I did find something odd that I thought you guys might find interesting and could possibly help me sort this out.

When I pull the fuse (and I confirm the deck has no power by starting the truck and trying to turn it on) the deck retains it's memory. No idea how that is happening. Haven't had a chance to investigate further between fixing the truck's AC and solving a CEL on my wife's car but I thought I would put this info up and see if anyone has any suggestions or insight as to whats going on. For now it's not so bad though because if I leave town I can just take 30 seconds to pull the fuse and I don't have to reset of all of my settings when I get back.

O also 95bucket I checked and I cannot connect to the deck without the ignition on, thanks though.