99 K3500 454 overheats under throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99BB3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ECU says 177-183. Never went above 183 according to my Solus ultra scanner. Gauge said 220-230ish. Either way both sensors are getting replaced

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, then seems that's the problem? On some of the 5.7s the guage in the cluster reads 1/4 mark. My K3500/5.7 is this way. When I bought it a few years ago I was going crazy trying to figure it out, then realized the scanner was right at 190F. But before I realized that, checked the thermostat, replaced the sender (with a wrong one!), then it started "overheating," then I figured I had air in the system...and down that rabbit hole I went, LOL.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ECU says 177-183. Never went above 183 according to my Solus ultra scanner. Gauge said 220-230ish. Either way both sensors are getting replaced
What is the temp rating of the thermostat?

If you never went over 183 towing a trailer, I kinda wonder if someone chucked a 160 thermostat in that thing.

Not unusual for the gauge to read a bit higher than the ECU, but 40--50 degrees higher is nuts.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll fix that problem right after work. Heights are fun!
Yea, I know about heights to. Way off the ground @ the ship yard.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys at the Bus Plant had to work on the roof of City Buses, installing roof-mounted A/C units, paint repairs, etc.

The bus might be ten feet high. Probably not even.

They'd have to get strapped-up in a Safety Harness, and tie-off to the structure of the bus, so if they fell, the harness would catch them before they hit the floor and broke the concrete with their heads.

They'd use a twenty-foot strap on the harness, so they had a reasonable work radius from the tie-off point--ten feet forward, ten feet rearward.

One day, the Supervisor asked "What good does a 20-foot strap do, when it's only ten feet to the ground."

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother recently sold his TBI C1500 RCSB and bought a 98 K1500 RCSB. I was over at his place and happened to have my basic handheld scanner and we were checking it out. He had like 8 codes pending/stored but his SES wasn't on! It was in Closed Loop-Fault too....lower O2 sensor codes, among other things and then we realized the truck didn't have cats or lower O2s...doh!

Also saw his temperature (per the scanner) didn't go above 150F. Dash only read 1/4 mark. I'm not sure if the CL-Fault is because of the temperature or the O2s. And not sure why it only goes to 150F either. Truck's a mess. She does look nice though, LOL.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lower O2 sensor codes, among other things and then we realized the truck didn't have cats or lower O2s...doh!
That's a fairly easy fix.

Also saw his temperature (per the scanner) didn't go above 150F. Dash only read 1/4 mark. I'm not sure if the CL-Fault is because of the temperature or the O2s. And not sure why it only goes to 150F either.
You have two independent sensors telling you the truck won't get up to proper operating temperature.

First Guess: You need a thermostat, and an oil change. Perhaps a coolant flush while you have the system open.

99BB3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother recently sold his TBI C1500 RCSB and bought a 98 K1500 RCSB. I was over at his place and happened to have my basic handheld scanner and we were checking it out. He had like 8 codes pending/stored but his SES wasn't on! It was in Closed Loop-Fault too....lower O2 sensor codes, among other things and then we realized the truck didn't have cats or lower O2s...doh!

Also saw his temperature (per the scanner) didn't go above 150F. Dash only read 1/4 mark. I'm not sure if the CL-Fault is because of the temperature or the O2s. And not sure why it only goes to 150F either. Truck's a mess. She does look nice though, LOL.
I figured my cats were clogged also, climbed underneath the other day only to realize I don’t have any cats either…………or downstream o2s. Somebody ran dual exhaust into a dual in/dual out muffler. Technically speaking in Pa a 1 to. Doesn’t need emissions. No visual, no test. Nothing. But I just want it to run the way it’s supposed to.