94 Blazer overheats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Kicking around the idea a pursuing a fullsize Blazer that supposedly overheats whenever running. That's most likely going to be a thermostat stuck closed or a clogged radiator, correct? Intake and head gaskets on a tbi engines are relatively rare, right?

I have not looked at this vehicle closely yet, so I have no more details.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are thinking undecided or are you buying it with the intention of repair and driving? Without some form of testing there is no straight answer.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Are thinking undecided or are you buying it with the intention of repair and driving?

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, here. It's a vehicle that I'm considering purchasing to drive, but it has an overheating issue, currently.

Without some form of testing there is no straight answer.

You have all the info I have, at this time. I'm asking about likely causes, considering it's a 94 tbi 350. My first thought was the intake manifold gaskets and then I realized the year dictates it's a tbi not a Vortec.

I may be able to get a pressure tester on it, on Saturday. That will at least tell me if it holds pressure.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Remember that head gasket problems are "typically" caused by other problems that cause overheating. Usually blown head gaskets are the "result" of other problems, again typically. Low on coolant because of a leak(s), don't forget to check freeze/welch plugs, stuck thermostat, poor flow across radiator that does not allow heat to dissipate correctly, poor air flow from a fan/fan clutch problem....etc. Make sure the radiator cap holds the correct pressure. For every pound that the radiator cap holds pressure, the boiling point of the coolant is raised by 3 degrees. Good luck.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, maybe the water pump impeller is ate up or not even attached any more and coolant is not moving as it should.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If head gaskets the coolant is probably disgusting. Could be a couple variables.

I want a TBI blazer so bad.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Could be a junk pump too. I'd be concerned about head gaskets, I think I'd only be willing to pay as much as for a truck with blown head gaskets.

Maybe I haven't had enough old cars and trucks, but I've never seen that before. Its always been seals or bearings in the case of my Buick.