99 K3500 454 overheats under throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99BB3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the 454 correct? What’s the difference between the pumps? Some have an RPO code that starts with G others an N. I have the NF2 code. Some are 24, 32, and 70 gallon per hour

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely, upgrade the fan clutch, and make sure its the HD version, they make a couple different ones. Even with a new HD radiator, water pump, RMI25 additive, lower thermostat 185F (I know physics it doesn't cool anything but just opens sooner), if I let it idle with the A/C on after running, it gets hot, 210 indicated, but shut it off and let it sit, then key on you'll see temps way past 210.... It is a big block chevy, it's what they do.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did an electro-viscus fan clutch up-grade on my 95 burb w/ 6.5 I have not had any issue with heat on the 98 7.4 but looks like a good candidate for the same upgrade.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If it's overheating at speed it's not the fan clutch.

When I replaced the original fuel pump, I went to the dealer and I believe they looked it up by VIN. I actually have a picture of that pump with the 3 digit code for future reference. It's not an RPO. It's probably a broadcast code.

99BB3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at fuel pumps the other day. Not sure what NF2 is but it has it on the code list in the glove box. And the pump I was looking at specifically said for code NF2. I need to figure out what the flow rate is since there 3-4 different o es

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at fuel pumps the other day. Not sure what NF2 is but it has it on the code list in the glove box. And the pump I was looking at specifically said for code NF2. I need to figure out what the flow rate is since there 3-4 different o es
NF2 is Federal emissions, Tier 1. Maybe the hanger assembly has an extra vent tube or something. I don't know how the fuel pump would be affected.