97 CMP Offset - Distributor Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I now have the ability to read CMP Offset and find my original distributor setting was giving me -26 degrees - a fair amount off of the require +/- 2 degrees. See my thread re BFX OBDII reader.

I tried to adjust the distributor but best I could get was about -15 degrees before the distributor ran into someething - coil mounting bracket I think.

Pulled the distributor enough to move 1 tooth and dropped back in. Started at +15 degrees but the best I could get was +7 degrees before the number 1 spark plug wire on the cap runs into the intake manifold.

Anyone else had this problem?

I am thinking that I need to move the distributor back one tooth and modify the coil mounting bracket (assuming that is what is preventing the proper setting) to get the setting into the +/- 2 degree required setting.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that I need to move the distributor back one tooth and modify the coil mounting bracket (assuming that is what is preventing the proper setting) to get the setting into the +/- 2 degree required setting.
Yup. Sounds like a good plan. Except that you shouldn't have to modify the coil mounting bracket. Maybe move two teeth?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless I mistakenly moved 2 teeth the first time it seems that the range of adjustment controlled by the ability to rotate the distributor is too small. My reading went from negative to positive so I must have crossed over the majic setting location when I moved what I believe was 1 tooth on the gear. I cannot modify the intake manifold or the #1 cap wire location so I bliese I am stuck with going back one tooth and modifying whatever is required to get the distrbutor to the required orientation for the +/- 2 degree setting.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New distributor or maybe the previous owner replaced it?
The cam gear could be 180 degrees out or it sounds like you need to move it one tooth.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I moved mine 1 tooth I went from 30 off to 90 off. The fix for me was a new distributor gear.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to adjust the distributor but best I could get was about -15 degrees before the distributor ran into someething - coil mounting bracket I think.

Pulled the distributor enough to move 1 tooth and dropped back in. Started at +15 degrees but the best I could get was +7 degrees before the number 1 spark plug wire on the cap runs into the intake manifold.

Anyone else had this problem?

Unless I mistakenly moved 2 teeth the first time it seems that the range of adjustment controlled by the ability to rotate the distributor is too small. My reading went from negative to positive so I must have crossed over the majic setting location when I moved what I believe was 1 tooth on the gear. I cannot modify the intake manifold or the #1 cap wire location so I bliese I am stuck with going back one tooth and modifying whatever is required to get the distrbutor to the required orientation for the +/- 2 degree setting.

WICruiser-97,

This specific issue has cropped up before, and the good news is that others have discovered a solution.

Assuming that the rest of the distributor is healthy (no excess wear in the upper bushing, etc) the
root cause is that somehow the distributor gear was 180° out when it was pinned to the distributor shaft.

The reason why there is a right phasing and a wrong phasing for the distributor gear to be pinned to the
distributor shaft is because there are an odd number of teeth -- 13 to be exact.

I was going to share all the math, but the bottom line is that when 1 setting gives you a too-positive range,
and then moving the distributor 1 tooth only gives you a too-negative range, then pulling the distributor >
depinning > spinning the 13-tooth gear 180° > repinning > reinstalling > getting the +2/-2 setting is the solution.

For someone who went through the same thing & got the fix, the first 10 posts in this thread
are what you are looking for: (Can't set distributor correctly)

As for why you are faced with this problem? The most common answer is that the aftermarket
distributors are being assembled incorrectly. If you aren't here because of an aftermarket dizzy
then the answer becomes a bit more esoteric.

Best of luck --

Last edited:

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the history and fix. I had not considered the gear orientation.

I have no way of knowing if the distributor has ever been replaced or the gear removed as I purchased the truck, not running after sitting for several years with an intake manifold coolant leak. I did a complete rebuild but did not do anything more than remove/install the distributor.

I will try repinning the gear and see if that fixes the problem as it has for others and report back.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's the original distributor plan on buying a new gear and then be prepared to flip it if you get it wrong on the first go. ANY visible wear is enough to screw you over.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having 3 different threads on this doesn’t help.

Really helps to keep it all in one thread.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure you get a melonized gear. there should be a dimple in the gear above the gear pin hole, on one side only. in "practice" that dimple should be orientated with the rotor tip. in today's offshore manufacturing, tolerances are just a suggestion. as stated above, you may have to pull it and turn 180 degrees.