Distributor not installing in original location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsuuwp

Reaction score
For background, I have a 95 k1500. I recently replaced head gaskets. When all done, the engine would turn over but not start. I am trying to diagnose it, but I am questioning a decision I made during reassembly and am curious if it could have had an impact.

When I removed the distributor I made sure to mark the location and ensure the engine was in top dead center. After replacing the head gaskets, when I tried to reinstall the distributor, it would not fully sit in the same location. No matter what I tried it would not go in at the location I removed it. Oddly enough, it would fully go in at about 30 degrees clockwise from the original location. This was the only orientation where the distributor would fully seat. I decided to simply just put the distributor in this location, and adjust the distributor cap to the new location at top dead center. My thinking was as long as I was aligning the distributor cap at top dead center for cylineder 1, it would not matter. I am wondering if my logic was flawed. Does it matter if the distributor is not in its orginal location if I adjust the distributor cap so that spark still occurs at top dead center?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The orientation doesn't matter. The reason why it wouldn't seat is because the oil pump shaft was misaligned with the oil pump. You can turn the oil pump in the block with a looooonnnnnnggggg flathead screwdriver, or you can make one using a bit driver and extensions but TAPE any connections you make so they don't fall into the valley.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the crankshaft at TDC-COMPRESSION (NOT TDC-Exhaust).

Drop the distributor in so the rotor and housing points more-or less where it's supposed-to. The distributor won't drop fully down, and the rotor won't entirely spin to where it should be.

Remove power wire connector from ignition coil. Crank the engine. Distributor will drop fully into place when the oil pump driveshaft aligns with the bottom of the distributor.

Return the crank to TDC-COMPRESSION.

Align the distributor reluctor teeth by turning the distributor housing--or--if marked accurately, the marks you made before should align.

Snug the distributor hold-down, reinstall rotor and cap. Disconnect the timing connector, reinstall the ignition coil power connector. Start engine, connect timing light, touch-up the distributor position to get the timing exactly right. Shut off engine, re-connect the timing connector, tighten hold-down, disconnect battery for ten seconds to clear the code.