97 chevy rcsb sleeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had one in Napa, Ca. like that. It was called LJ's. Couple of racing brothers started it in their garage, and it was just like you described. Then they expanded into town to a large warehouse, and it was just never the same after that.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, the Mopac experience has wondered far from its roots for sure then. The prices are a little higher, and I only go there for exactly what I need...asking for help, and getting good help are two totally different things. I still feel like a kid in a candy store when I hit up any speed shop, but I would love to visit some real old speed shops if there are any around these days...seems like you only read about them in Hot Rod Magazine.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to deal with the owner (George) when he had his original store on Kingsway in Burnaby.
Damn! That was over 35 years ago now! He knew his stuff & was always great to deal with.
Then he expanded to 2, then 3 stores. Kept ownership, but backed away from a lot of the daily doings. Liked to tinker in the back on his own projects while the other employees kept things going.
IIRC the story right, there were investment partners drawn in. Big time expansion began.
It lost that old time Speed Shop feel. You know the type. Cramped, smokey, every corner utilized. Rows of fresh rebuilt short-blocks in bags. New & rebuilt heads on the shelves. Cheater Slicks(!) new & used. Mag wheels in the windows. Stack of old magazines on a rack. Local racer's pix on the walls. Worn counters with ashtrays & stools to sit on. Couple of smart but crusty old guys that always seemed to be there that were always good for a story or two. A REAL Speed Shop!
More like a glossy conglomerate corporation, now.
Things at some of the branches are not quite up to the standard that George had set more than 30 years ago.
Closest one to me is Langley. I only go there if it's absolutely positively required.
Young guys behind the counters that know parts numbers, but have no actual experience when it comes to steering customers in the right direction. And a little on the expensive side.
Maybe it's just me, but I do miss that old store. Even just to go hang out for an hour or two. Drink some uber-strong coffee! Always walked out with some free tid-bit of info or some trick to help us youngsters go just a little bit faster!
I know exactly what your talking about. One of the stores I used to go to was the center of knowledge for anything cars. Plus the guys that worked there were into cars and racing. And EVERYTHING was made in the US and not China or Japan. Too bad those days are gone forever.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Wish I got to experience a place like that haha

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Just read the entire thread. What a great build. Piece by piece function and form improvements and all the custom stuff. Quality workmanship and finishing. Everything works together. I could go on. I'm not even a big fan of this style truck, but like the hell out of what you've done with it. Did you ever coat or refinish the headers ?

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just read the entire thread. What a great build. Piece by piece function and form improvements and all the custom stuff. Quality workmanship and finishing. Everything works together. I could go on. I'm not even a big fan of this style truck, but like the hell out of what you've done with it. Did you ever coat or refinish the headers ?

Thanks for the comments! I have not coated the headers yet. Maybe once winter hits, and its out of commission I will send them away to get done. It would do wonders for how it looks under the hood.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You can do a pretty fine job with a good cleanup and some hi temp rattle can paint. The high buck coatings haven't lasted with me so I do them myself. The aluminum color looks good and if you cure the paint it lasts a while.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update time. The truck has been having trouble charging on and off. Earlier on I realized that I had missed wiring up the alt signal wire into the truck (wired to indicator light on the oem gauge panel). After figuring that out, I wired up switched 12v on the other side of the signal wire to get it to excite the alternator... but the truck had very inconsistent voltage while running (12-14v...or sometimes nothing at all and just drain the battery). After better research (and after a face palm or two) I found out the 12v switched wire needs resistance to properly signal the alt. So I put in a dummy light in the gauge panel. Basically the indicator light is lit when ignition is hot, as the alt acts as the ground side of the light. Then once its running the light goes out, as both sides are positive, letting you know its charging.
You must be registered for see images attach

The damage was done at that point though, and the alt could not properly regulate voltage anymore (must have hurt it somehow without having resisted power signal). So I picked up a 145 amp replacement, and now the truck has plenty of juice running (14.2v cold, and 13.8v warm) and the battery stays above 12v charged.

Also since I had to take the gauge panel apart to install the dummy light, I took some time to figure out why the fuel level wasn’t working. The volts gauge has a digital stepper motor, so it has settings for most oem's ohm range. The only problem was the sender wouldn't talk to the gauge on the appropriate 1/8 tank Ford '89 to present setting (16-158 ohm). I tried the Empty level setting also, which is supposed to be '89 Ford and earlier (also Chrysler) setting of 73-10 ohms and still nothing. So I opted to pull the sender out of the tank and verify it was even working. Surprisingly I can get the sender out of the tank in place without any trouble...dumb luck there. With the sender out, you can opt to do custom calibration to the gauge. I calibrated it, stabbed it back in, and we were off to the races...or not. The level wanted to read, but is cutting out like signal is being interrupted. I ordered a new sending unit, and hopefully that's the fix. For now the weather has been awesome, and so I’ve had it out a few more times trying to enjoy it.

All good times must come to an end though...with tough times landing on the oil and gas industry up here, it looks as though my employment may be in jeopardy by the new year. So after all that work, unfortunately the truck is up for sale. I'm not sure that I will find a buyer that appreciates the vision I had for the truck, let alone the price. I am also incredibly critical of having people over to the house...I hate the tire kicking game. My expectations are pretty low, but who knows...maybe she will find a new home. Better to be a little more prepared encase the worst happens.

Last edited:

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buddy sent me this thing for sale, and I didn't connect the dots till now. Super clean and tastefully modded, the economy sucks and I'm somewhat in the same boat but if I get laid off ill just park my truck. Granted I do live at home still lol.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buddy sent me this thing for sale, and I didn't connect the dots till now. Super clean and tastefully modded, the economy sucks and I'm somewhat in the same boat but if I get laid off ill just park my truck. Granted I do live at home still lol.

Thanks! Ya, we will see what happens. I had two guys look so far that seemed like they had no real understanding of what they were looking at. I guess that's the unfortunate part of building something like this...there's nothing really that fantastic to look at from the outside, until you start looking close. There are plenty of stock shiny painted pickups on the market too which doesn't help. On the flip side, if things pan out with work and it hibernates all winter, it won't hurt my feelings at all. Coincidentally I will probably be looking into a 9" next year if its still around.