97 chevy rcsb sleeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker, but a fairly new member. I've owned a few gm trucks in the past few years between some of the car projects. My first was actually an oobs 1 ton crew cab long box that i shortened to a short bed, dropped it, and did a 5 bolt conversion. I had good intentions for it, but ended up selling as a project that you see here.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next was a sort of 454ss tribute which i should have kept

After that I had a ecsb that was more of just a driver/ parts runner

That brings us to this fall. I really wanted another rcsb to make into a toy. After searching for most of the summer, I found one 3 hours away, and it fit the bill perfect; blown 4.3/auto, 200k, maroon interior, drop shackles, 454ss wheels.

My short list of ever changing plans;
-Add hangers to the back, and drop springs up front for a 3/4 drop. Parts arrive in a couple weeks. Possibly ditch the overloads, and build or buy some caltrac's for it. I will have to mod the drop hangers for those bars, and may fab them up with another inch of drop
-Yank the 4.3/4l60e in favor for a carb'd 350/700r4...recycled from another project it just sold...this will open a whole can of worms/mods to accomodate
-Keep it stock looking...dress it down...hopefully not to boring for everyone lol.

My first purchase was a set of bfg's, 275/60's for the rear, and 235/70's for the front so i have an even 28" tire all around. Then I ditched the LMC grille, in favor for stock chevy I had laying around with black bowtie. Its not permanent, but its an improvement.

To date I have the drivetrain pulled, and front suspension, and im cleaning and painting, to get ready to install the new power plant. Its a 350 vortec with edelrock 2099 top end package

Im also ditching abs, a/c, and everything else under the hood that isn't absolutely needed. Wiring is going to be the next major hurdle very soon. The harness is almost out of the truck. I am pulling the dash and taking out whats left of the harness inside so i can lay it out, and thin it down.

Another side projects thats happening; Originally I was going to have the ss wheels widened, but it turned out to be a pain in the ass. So im going to dress it down with factory steel wheels, painted black, with no beauty ring, and just stock centers. I ordered 15x10 stock looking rears from wheel vintiques with 6" bs, which should arrive by Feb next year. I found a pic of another obs for inspiration, and did a ms paint chop of what it should look like. Kudos to the owner of the white beauty (the original pic of the white truck is an extended cab with stock steel's all around)

Couple more of a smoothie steel wheel to get the idea.

More updates to come!

Last edited:

bygddy

Reaction score
My kind of project, very cool for sure. Keep up the details on the motor swap, what your doing for guages, fuel pump etc etc....I may go down this road myself and need all the input I can get lol.
Thanks

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a little bit of work done before Christmas...mostly just catching up on pictures so I can keep things in order. I did finish getting the engine harness out of the truck now. Also I pulled the dash out. That sort of happened because I couldn't tell where the hvac harness connections were hiding. In hind sight, the dash could have stayed, but it is a cracked to hell, so its not all bad. I will take advantage of this and fill the a/c holes too. Im going to practice on this dash on the new gauge arrangement also. For what I have in mind, I think there will be some cutting involved, and maybe some heat duct re-work.

Here it is on its way out. The bench and a bunch of plastic has made its way out already.

Jumbled mess...man I hate wiring.

Getting pretty bare inside. Going to look for next; tilt column, split bench with folding center console, and possibly power windows. Next trip to pick-n-pull with hopefully yeild some grey interior

Anyone need red/maroon parts...lol

keeping the farm truck vibe alive and well with duck tape on the window...wth? Not sure what the slider is missing just yet, but i shook my head.

Down to pretty much bare bones up front. It won't be long before its ready for the new sbc.

Started redoing the control arms also.

I took these also just because...sometimes guys ask about knock outs, so here they are.

Last edited:

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty excited about some interior stuff I got going on. Was surfing some local adds, and landed a set of ultra lite 2 gauges for the truck, with all the sending units. The speedo and tach are 3-3/8" and the rest are 2" (I need to get a matching volts gauge, so just stuffed an amps gauge in its hole for the time being that I had laying around). I got lucky and managed to keep the stock bezel, and pretty much just gutted the back plastic half, then I made a new gauge plate out of aluminum. I still would like to get some lights for signals, and maybe a few other small things. Lastly I will paint the gauge plate black before it goes back together. I test fit it in the dash and will have to do some trimming to allow it to sit down the last 1/2" and bolt in place, but its much less than I initially thought. I should be able to leave the heat duct alone. Here are some pics

Also some other small updates, the wiring harness is pretty much stripped down to bare minimum, and i stripped the air bag out of the pass side of the dash, and its associated wiring. I will just fasten the cover to the dash so it still looks normal. Will post some more pics soon.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
cool project :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like it could be battery

Torchred

Carolina Can
Reaction score
Looks like a cool project, those are my favorite SBC valve covers, I've got an original set I bought off of craigslist a while back. I'm restoring them to put on a 350 for my Camaro