'50 Chevy 3100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Been tinkering with the old truck. Put a new bullet in the trans, and looks like that took care of the leak. The wife and I threw a backyard alignment on the new front end, and feels like we did pretty good. Drives way better now, and even holds a straight line going down the road.

My son has a '50 Chevy truck also, and has been replacing all the bright work, with new chrome. He gave me his black mirrors, which I was more than happy have, and put those on yesterday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ran across a never installed or painted roll pan for $50, and could not pass it up. Got it fitted last night, threw a crappy looking paint job on it, and installed today.

Found some spray bomb paint at Home Depot, that's a pretty good match for what was used on the cab. So used that on the pan, with some satin black fogged in randomly. The bed doesn't have the same treatment as the cab, so I'll eventually do it, like I did the pan, so it all goes together a little better.

Waiting on some 15" smoothies to show up, in the next week or two. I'll be glad to get rid of the Cragars. Never been a fan of those wheels.

Also, don't think I mentioned this before, but this truck is actually a GMC. I prefer the Chevy frontend, but, if I can find one, I'm going to replace the Chevy emblem on the hood, with a GMC version. They bolt to the grille surround, but I believe I can get it to work on the hood. Follow that up with a GMC tailgate, and I'll be good with that.

Unfortunately, they don't reproduce that GMC emblem, so I'll have to find an original piece. I've already seen that they are not cheap, if in good shape, and good chrome ones, might as well be made of gold.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Been tinkering with the old truck. Put a new bullet in the trans, and looks like that took care of the leak. The wife and I threw a backyard alignment on the new front end, and feels like we did pretty good. Drives way better now, and even holds a straight line going down the road.

My son has a '50 Chevy truck also, and has been replacing all the bright work, with new chrome. He gave me his black mirrors, which I was more than happy have, and put those on yesterday.

Ran across a never installed or painted roll pan for $50, and could not pass it up. Got it fitted last night, threw a crappy looking paint job on it, and installed today.

Found some spray bomb paint at Home Depot, that's a pretty good match for what was used on the cab. So used that on the pan, with some satin black fogged in randomly. The bed doesn't have the same treatment as the cab, so I'll eventually do it, like I did the pan, so it all goes together a little better.

Waiting on some 15" smoothies to show up, in the next week or two. I'll be glad to get rid of the Cragars. Never been a fan of those wheels.

Also, don't think I mentioned this before, but this truck is actually a GMC. I prefer the Chevy frontend, but, if I can find one, I'm going to replace the Chevy emblem on the hood, with a GMC version. They bolt to the grille surround, but I believe I can get it to work on the hood. Follow that up with a GMC tailgate, and I'll be good with that.

Unfortunately, they don't reproduce that GMC emblem, so I'll have to find an original piece. I've already seen that they are not cheap, if in good shape, and good chrome ones, might as well be made of gold.
I think at one time that was reproduced? I think I got one, about 30-35 years ago, for mine. It doesn't have anything on the grille surround but holes, and does not have a grille, and does have a large railroad timber for a front bumper. I got it in 1980 from a guy who had moved here to Houston, from San Antonio, and he'd been driving it until he messed up something in the torque tube (closed driveline). He couldn't find anyone to repair it, for what money he had, and somewhere in the time around when that happened, his girlfriend got in the family way. So he basically needed a few hundred $$ to get married, put the truck in the newspaper or greensheet classified, and Dad and I came up with the money when we saw the ad and went to look at it.... Was gonna be a father/daughter project, and then life kept getting in the way.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Not an exciting update, but a much needed one. Installed a proper over flow tank for the radiator. The previous one leaked, and didn't allow the rad to pull water back in. Also installed a fuel pressure regulator, with gauge, so I could see what the electric pump was putting out. I kept being told Edelbrock carbs were very sensitive to fuel pressure, so it's cheap insurance.

Think the carb still needs a little tuning, but want to get a vacuum gauge before I do that.

One of these days, I'll get some inner fenders on this thing, either stock or home made, haven't decided yet.

The windshield had some junk smeared on it, around the edge, since I got it, and finally gave it a good cleaning. Almost looks like there's no window at all.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how I wash windows. They come out looking truly great every time.
1) spray your glass cleaner of choice (I like Sprayway non-foaming
2) use the 2 towel method. Waffle weave to clean it and get the big stuff off; diamond weave as a follow up to eliminate any streaks
3) 0000 steel wool. I’m not kidding! Respray the glass with your cleaner then work the steel wool in overlapping circles or passes. Follow up with the two step towel method.
4) be amazed

I use the wool for water spots, sap, bug guts, whatever. It takes it right off. My girlfriend taught me this trick; she used to detail full time.

Regardless, love the updates!