'50 Chevy 3100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a fun toy. It's no STUMPY ;) but it's got a lot of character.

Agreed 100% on ditching the hood hold-downs. Just be sure that latch is working top notch before you do.. got to be some reason they gave up on it. Would hate to see your truck get hurt by a flying hood. Body looks pretty solid!

You staying with the Cragars? Unsolicited opinion: they look good, but some truck Rally's (or even Corvette style) would look sharp, with some trim rings, too!

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 5 window cab was called the "deluxe cab" by the factory IIRC. The idea was , like the portholes in 56-57 Thunderbird hardtops, to allow better rear vision for the drivers. Remember they didn't have tow mirrors back then, just the small round ones and the West Coast style wasn't huge either.
A few other Advance Design truck trivia bits: dark green was the default color if a different color was not specified (gotta use up that military surplus paint), the interior metal is painted a color similar to Pewter Metallic, whatever color the body is, and all Chevy 3100(half ton) pickups were short beds. The only way to get a long bed half ton back then was to buy a GMC. And a GMC back then, was a more heavy duty truck. They had pressure lube oiling for the engines when the Chevy stovebolt six still used splash lubrication (dippers on the con rods to splash oil into the rest of the engine), and the frames and chassis were a little bit stouter.
I learned these things when researching the truck I got in high school (and still have).

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Looks like a fun toy. It's no STUMPY ;) but it's got a lot of character.

Agreed 100% on ditching the hood hold-downs. Just be sure that latch is working top notch before you do.. got to be some reason they gave up on it. Would hate to see your truck get hurt by a flying hood. Body looks pretty solid!

You staying with the Cragars? Unsolicited opinion: they look good, but some truck Rally's (or even Corvette style) would look sharp, with some trim rings, too!

Richard
Hood latch assembly is gone, so I have to get the whole thing, and will make sure it functions properly.

Cragars are not staying. I'll be switching to steelies, and baby moons. If I can get stock style caps, that would be great. I'd like to have a sort of stock appearing exterior, but with upgrades, and low.

I'm not opposed to painting it green, like the one a few posts back. To me that color and this body style of truck go hand and hand

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pictures of when I brought my "project" home and latest version being put together for fit check of parts prior to paint.
Going for a stock look but updated drivetrain - 383 SBC, NV3500 trans, and 14 bolt rear axle (4.10).

Attachments

• 20211215_132357[2644].jpg
    20211215_132357[2644].jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240223_154646.jpg
    20240223_154646.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 11

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a 3600 - so 3/4 ton with full floating rear axle and 8 lug wheels. The 3600 has a significantly different frame than the 3100 making relocation of the fuel tank to under the bed more challenging.

It isn't obvious in the first picture but all of the straps are holding the thing together because there was basically only a few bolts on the front clip and none securing the back parts to the chassis.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a 3600 - so 3/4 ton with full floating rear axle and 8 lug wheels. The 3600 has a significantly different frame than the 3100 making relocation of the fuel tank to under the bed more challenging.

It isn't obvious in the first picture but all of the straps are holding the thing together because there was basically only a few bolts on the front clip and none securing the back parts to the chassis.
I thought the 3600 was a "1 ton" and 3400 was a "3/4 ton"?
And the 3100 being a "1/2" ton.
Im not to well versed in the older trucks just what i gathered by reading some.