97 chevy rcsb sleeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a trip to pick n pull today and grabbed a bunch of interior stuff. I now have all the correct grey parts, and the interior is complete. I even found a nbs with a 5 speed, so I grabbed the clutch and brake pedal rubber covers, shifter, and boot also, so that looks way better now. I also found a local guy selling a bunch of new roll pans, and picked up one for the truck. Its made by precision grills, and although its not perfect, it wont take much to make it fit nice...plus it was only 75 bucks which was nice.

Also just before the video was made i was having trouble with the right signals, and brakes lights blowing fuses. After going through the dash, and making sure I didn't pinch, or cut, or cross something, I ended up trouble shooting the front and rear harness's. Sort of backwards, but I thought since I had my hands in the dash, that it was the best place to start. The culprit is somewhere in the tail light harness between the firewall plug, and the rear tail light harness plug section. The truck is back up on jack stands, to yank it out, and have a look. While its up there I'm going to finish detailing the frame under the cab, and re-attach the e-brake cable. Getting closer every day!

Last edited:

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just watched the video. Lots of work but it looks like it was worth it. Good job. The exhaust tips look good too.

Thanks...it has been a ton of work, and if not for so many issues to deal with afterwards it wouldn't be bitter sweet. I guess that's what you get for not knowing if a truck (or in this case donor trucks also) has any issues before you change almost everything in it. Its damn near done though!

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who thought a person could have so much trouble with 4 wires....I pulled the harness from the fire wall to the tail of the truck out and checked for ground spots...and found them to be plentiful. So I re-wired it front to back, and in the process got rid of the old fuel pump harness and a couple of extra plugs at the firewall connection spot under the booster. All in all much cleaner now. I was ready for a win, but then after no right tail signals again, I found the tail light harness had issues too. No biggie...I swapped it for the spare one I had from one of the donors, and wouldn't you know...same problem. What are the odds of that. Both harness had issues right at the plug, one broken wire, and the other bad terminal corrosion. I have the fix for it now, but wow...what a pain.

On the plus side, this forced a couple of other items to get finished. I stripped and finished detailing the frame under the cab, so that looks nice now. The e-brake cables are re-attached, but one or both need to be replaced as the don't retract well. The 454ss mirrors are painted to match now, and I started sectioning the roll pan to fit it properly. I also ran wires to the reverse sensor on the trans, so hopefully after the harness fiasco, this gets put to bed.

Also since I am getting withdrawal's from not posting a pic in a while, here is a cool cluster pic!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who thought a person could have so much trouble with 4 wires....I pulled the harness from the fire wall to the tail of the truck out and checked for ground spots...and found them to be plentiful. So I re-wired it front to back, and in the process got rid of the old fuel pump harness and a couple of extra plugs at the firewall connection spot under the booster. All in all much cleaner now. I was ready for a win, but then after no right tail signals again, I found the tail light harness had issues too. No biggie...I swapped it for the spare one I had from one of the donors, and wouldn't you know...same problem. What are the odds of that. Both harness had issues right at the plug, one broken wire, and the other bad terminal corrosion. I have the fix for it now, but wow...what a pain.

On the plus side, this forced a couple of other items to get finished. I stripped and finished detailing the frame under the cab, so that looks nice now. The e-brake cables are re-attached, but one or both need to be replaced as the don't retract well. The 454ss mirrors are painted to match now, and I started sectioning the roll pan to fit it properly. I also ran wires to the reverse sensor on the trans, so hopefully after the harness fiasco, this gets put to bed.

Also since I am getting withdrawal's from not posting a pic in a while, here is a cool cluster pic!

Looks real good. When did you say you want to do mine ?

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little things here and there worth updating. I wasn't happy with the beat up parking brake cables as mentioned before, so I picked up a new pair. That blossomed into doing shoes, drums and wheel cyl's. Now the rear brakes will be trouble free for a long time. I also finished up wiring jobs here, and there (and the tail lights are fixed for good now). Interior is done finally in one color, Lol. Basically the truck is finished for now...which feels weird. Just have to get it alligned, and pic up the autometer gps unit so my speedo will work. Last but not least, one other little project is working on the roll pan. I have the first sectioning done now, but there is still some slice and dice yet before it should fit nice...then get to layin the fiberglass.

Last edited: