96 k2500 Suburban, no power but my battery is fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krokadyel

Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is my first post. I've been reading this forum for a couple months now, since I came across it when i bought my suburban, but i just finally made an account today. I must say this forum is the best, I've never been able to find anywhere near this much information on any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Heres the full background on my issue. I'll provide the events leading up to the problem also, in-case they are resourceful in the diagnosis. and also if anyone has information towards my other problem, that would be awesome.

A few days ago I began the installation of a full aftermarket audio system. After I installed my headunit and amp/subs, I wanted to test to make sure everything was wired correctly for them before putting in my new door speakers. Everything worked fine for a few minutes, then my headunit flashed protect and shut off. After that, any headunit i plug in, even the stock one will not power on. So I'm pretty sure i narrowed that down to be either the red power wire, yellow power wire, or ground.

(This is where my no power to the entire truck problem comes into play.)

I wanted to test the ground first, so i threw a long wire on the black ground wire coming off the aftermarket headunit harness, and threw the other end of it under the first big bolt i saw underneath the dash (which was right near the steering column, probably a bad idea in hindsight). When i turned the key for just power, the headunit didnt come on. So i then tried to turn the truck completely on, i got a half a crank and i lost complete power to the truck. My battery was just replaced the other day, and my tester reads a dc current from it.

This is basically where I'm at. Do these trucks have a big main power fuse? Other then that im clueless, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also my truck is a vortec 350, auto tranny, in-case that's needed.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
check power at the battery terminals on the fender fuse box(there are large fuses in there for those 2 studs), if no power there then the connection at the battery is bad(battery bolt may have power but cable have bad contact)or the pos cable to the mail lug on the starter has a bad connection as that is where the truck feed comes from

Krokadyel

Reaction score
The problem actually ended up being a faulty terminal clamp, thank you for the help. Also got the head unit in, the problem was the ground so once I got it in a proper place it fired right up.