96 C3500 RCLB aka Stumpy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
No real update, just waiting on the weather to quit sucking, so I can start tearing down the Suburban.

I'm starting to lean toward doing the FiTech ecm package, so I can do as much of the swap myself, without having to rely on anybody. Seems like a good way to go, and since its self learning, I won't need somebody to tune it, at least not right away. The kit is $1000, but when you consider I have no money in this swap yet, I think it's not that much of a budget buster.

Anybody have any opinions on the FiTech setup, or suggestions for a better one?

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
After doing more research, FiTech seems a little iffy on the support. I'm finding a good many unhappy customers.
Looks like the Holley Terminator X, is the way to go, just more expensive.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Got the 5.3, and tranny out of the Suburban. Wasn't too bad of a job, but certainly a different experience than all the old school 350s I've pulled.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just got to get it cleaned up, so I can hurry up and wait on my money to get straight again. This virus has my wife and I both hurting financially, but glad we're still healthy.

Also, going to holler at the local junkyard, and see if I can work a trade with the 4L60, for a 4L80. He deals almost exclusively in trucks, and has been a good resource for parts so far. Good guy too.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Had the week off, so finally tackled the dash swap project, that I've been dreading to do. Actually wound up being a lot easier than I thought, since learning what's back there, when I took the junkyard dash out.

Here's the busted up old dash, that I couldn't even use the glove box, since so much of that area was broke and missing. It was actually screwed shut when I bought the truck.

Once I got the dash swung down, I pulled the duct work for the HVAC, which allowed me to simply unclip all the wiring, and separate it from the dash.

Had just enough sunny days this week, amongst all the rain, to get everything painted. I used 3 cans of SEM gloss black. Took as much of it apart as I could, and shot each piece.

This is probably the most intricate piece, and very pleased with how it turned out.

All in and done.

Now with the hard part out of the way, just got to get the rest of it done. Plan is to mix black and dark gray, and hoping to get some seats out of a K2xx truck.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Finished up a little project, I've been tinkering with. Added a Homelink garage door opener, that I pulled from the LS donor Suburban, and put it in Stumpy.

On the back side, I epoxied a couple bolts , so not to mess the bezel, and be reversible if need be.

Back together.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just read through the whole thread and I'm now trying to convince myself I don't need a single cab dually. I already have two other single cabs, so it wouldn't be practical, but they look so good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk