96 C3500 RCLB aka Stumpy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Finally snapped a few pics of this truck I picked up a couple weeks ago. I had been looking for a RCLB for a long time, and not one that they wanted 10+ grand for. Lucked up and found this one local, for a decent price.

You must be registered for see images attach

This thing has been used and abused for some time, as the interior shows...

Somebody put a blue seat in it, which really stands out, against the gray.

Truck had 6 owners, and while it seems like most used it for work, one owner installed a full Flowmaster exhaust, including headers. A tad loud for my taste, and since the EGR isn't functioning anymore, the CEL is on, but it seems to run pretty good. BTW, it's a 5.7, with a 5 speed. RPO sticker in the dash says 3.42 rear gear, which was kind of a surprise. Expected to see 3.73, or 4.10.

Plan to fix it up nice, but it'll be a slow process.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've never seen a dually with 342s. Is it possible that somebody swapped that bed and rear end on there?
I've been under this thing from front to back, the bed and rear end look original to the truck. I'm thinking the 5speed manual has something to do with it. 1st gear is a granny as expected, and geared super low. Don't even use it on the road, just start in 2nd.

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here my RC dually, I am doing the interior, front end parts, and brakes, and yes, not many around anymore, lot of crew cab and ex cab ones but not a lot of regular cabs.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
It took me years to find this RCLB, so it feels like a unicorn. Square body RCLBs, seem to be way more common, than OBS.

Here's a pic of my old CCLB dually.

I loved that truck, but as a daily driver, it's size became a problem. There were so many places I just couldn't go.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've never seen a dually with 342s. Is it possible that somebody swapped that bed and rear end on there?
Got to thinking about this, and look at the RPO sticker again. Somebody changed the glove box door. It has a different Vin number on it, than the truck, and a production date of 4/98, my truck is a '96.

So, now I have no idea what gear this thing has in it, but glad it's probably not 3.42.