96 C3500 RCLB aka Stumpy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've come to realize, marker lights for the dually fenders, are kind of hard to come by, and seems LMC are the only ones selling new, but at $50 a piece, I thought I'd go a different way.

I was missing one, and after lucking up and finding a couple in "decent" shape at the junkyard, I was ready to start. Since mine were not in the best of shape, I didn't mind cutting them up...
You must be registered for see images attach

Took the backs out, so I could fit these LEDs I got online...

Got them fitted, then made the attempt to make the lens a little more presentable. Left is wet sanded in steps, starting with taking the raised letters off, and finishing up with 2000 grit sand paper. Right is what I started with.

Once all the sanding was done, shot a couple coats of automotive clear on them. Shiny and slick.

Cleaned up and painted all the associated hardware too.

I realize now, I forgot to get pics of the back, but I'll say. Instead of glueing the LEDs in, I used some ultra clear sealant to hold them in, but mostly to seal them. Having them installed is more than enough to hold them together, and if I ever need to change the LEDs, they'll be pretty easy to get apart.

Did most of that last week, and installed them today...

Want to ditch the W/T frontend for what I call the good one, put new lens, and LEDs on the cab lights, and debating whether to rehab the tails, or buy a set of LED versions.

Real happy with how this turned out.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to me.

This 2003 Suburban was pretty much give to me, so I can put the 5.3, and 4L60E into Stumpy.

Runs good, which made it easy to load. the body is in decent shape, but since 3 of the windows have been open for the past year or so, the interior is not looking so well. I does have a decent full length console in it, that I might hang on to. Once I get what I want off of it, it'll go to a local junkyard to get parted the rest of the way out.

Excited to get this going, but got some research to do first. Already been doing a ton of reading, but can never know enough. :)

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Do you intend to use this dually as a dually? A 5.3/4L60 hardly seems ideal. You might squirrel it away for another project.
No more work for this dually, it's purely for fun. I save my red truck for hard labor. It's nicer, and way more comfortable.

The 5.3 won't be staying stock. definitely doing a cam swap, but my son is trying to talk me into a turbo.

I'll be satisfied with just getting the swap done, to be honest.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Yeah, keeping the 5spd would make the swap a little easier, and I do enjoy going through the gears, but sometimes I just want to get in and go.

decisions, decisions.