96 C3500 RCLB aka Stumpy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Almost forgot I grabbed a couple pics with my phone, in between having greasy hands.

Engine looks pretty decent for 290k miles.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big boy NV4500...

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My newfound arthritis in my left hip is the only thing keeping me from being envious of the 5-speed transmission.

After spending years driving a 5 speed delivery truck around a major city - I will never own a manual trans vehicle again. F that! the torque converter can do the work for me. ;)

Sorry for the hijack Stumpy, just had to get that out...

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
My wife is pushing to change it over to automatic. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, since I wouldn't mind it either, but then she'll want to drive it.

My wife has wrecked EVERY single car she's ever had. None of them were close to the size of this truck, so, I have the only set of keys.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Got the new ignition cylinder lock install, was much easier than expected. When I went to back out of the garage, the brake pedal went to the floor, and the brake light on the gauge cluster lit up. Checked my brake fluid, and it was low, so added some. Pedal still felt soft, even after several pumps, so started looking at the back side of the wheels. Drivers side wheel cylinder has called it quits, and is leaking like crazy.
Guess I have next weekend's to do list started.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would have been pretty scary in traffic .... lucky, check the brake lines while your in looking around, my 97 popped the rear, lucky similar to your situation ...

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Well, a quick brake job, turned into a weekend project. A leaky wheel cylinder, was just one of my problems.

First of all, I've never done rear brakes on a dually before, so I was a little nervous at first, when I realized I had to take the axle out, to remove the drum. Wound up being nothing to it, but was new to me.

Nasty on the inside...

The inside of the drum has an oil seal, that obviously wasn't doing a very good job.

Got that cleaned up the best I could...

Both sides needed that seal, and when I took the passenger drum off, there was a spring laying in it.

Shiny stuff...

So all in, I bought two wheel cylinders, set of brake shoes, two drum seals, a new brake hardware kit, two cans of brake cleaner, big bottle of brake fluid, and some rtv, for the axle, where it bolts to the drum, for a grand total around $210. Wasn't planning on spending that much, but at least everything in there is new now, and shouldn't give me any trouble.