94 Sierra steering lock is pissing me off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I just bought this 94 Sierra ext cab step side trail master edition. I’m loving the truck except there’s one pain in my ass.

the steering lock. It locks everytime i take the key out of the ignition, and won’t unlock when I put the key back in to start the truck.

I’ve done every trick in the book from turning them at the same time, wiggling the wheel and ignition back and forth, and pulling hard to one side. None of it works and seems to just unlock whenever it wants to, usually after 10 minutes of trying to free it up.

you guys got any ideas? Could it be my key is worn out and not engaging the cylinder correctly? Would my life be easier to just remove or disable the lock?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of times it's just the key is worn out. If the cuts on the key look really dull and rounded off, you might try having the dealer cut a new key from code. Show up at the dealer with the title (in your name) and they'll do it.

Alternately, the tumbler may be worn out. It's cheap to buy a new one and it will have new keys with it. It's a little bit of work to replace, but they do go bad eventually.. I've replaced a couple that got to where they refused to work anymore.

Richard

Reaction score
A lot of times it's just the key is worn out. If the cuts on the key look really dull and rounded off, you might try having the dealer cut a new key from code. Show up at the dealer with the title (in your name) and they'll do it.

Alternately, the tumbler may be worn out. It's cheap to buy a new one and it will have new keys with it. It's a little bit of work to replace, but they do go bad eventually.. I've replaced a couple that got to where they refused to work anymore.

Richard
Thanks for the help man. I’ll start with getting a new key since that’s the more simple option. Lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help man. I’ll start with getting a new key since that’s the more simple option. Lol
Yeah, only if it really looks worn. I've had keys that barely looked like a key anymore and they still worked fine. The truth is it's probably the tumbler. They're not expensive or hard to replace, you just gotta own or borrow/rent the steering wheel puller and lock ring tools. Lots of videos on the subject these days. Some of us did 'em before youtube existed. ;)

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck without any keys. You can get a complete lock set from RockAuto dirt cheap, and the ignition lock is easier than the doors - so long as you have the $10 lock plate compressor tool.

Reaction score
Yeah, only if it really looks worn. I've had keys that barely looked like a key anymore and they still worked fine. The truth is it's probably the tumbler. They're not expensive or hard to replace, you just gotta own or borrow/rent the steering wheel puller and lock ring tools. Lots of videos on the subject these days. Some of us did 'em before youtube existed. ;)

Richard

I just replaced the tumbler on my ranchero so I’m no stranger to it. I noticed there’s no screws holding the plate around the column, does that slide off when you pull the steering wheel?

Reaction score
I bought my truck without any keys. You can get a complete lock set from RockAuto dirt cheap, and the ignition lock is easier than the doors - so long as you have the $10 lock plate compressor tool.

I need to redo the door locks cause the key I have doesn’t work on them. I might just buy a whole set to consolidate down to one key.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd probably have to buy a set of locks for the later trucks, and I don't know if that's a direct fit, but if it is, score!

The lock plate does not just slide off. The tool (https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=lock+plate+removal+tool&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) is pretty cheap and easy to use. After removing the steering wheel you thread the tool down onto the steering shaft, and then turn the u-shaped piece to compress the lock plate against its spring. You'll uncover a spring clip that holds it in place. Use a screwdriver to pop the spring clip loose and the then lock plate simply slides off.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced the tumbler on my ranchero so I’m no stranger to it. I noticed there’s no screws holding the plate around the column, does that slide off when you pull the steering wheel?
No, that's what the lock ring tool is for. There's a spring behind the lock ring; the tool lets you depress the lock ring enough so that you can use a pick to pull the snap ring retainer off, then slowly release the tool and pull the lock ring. Definitely check out the videos, probably the best ones are the ones that describe tightening up a loose tilt column as you have to pull all the same stuff to get in there.

I need to redo the door locks cause the key I have doesn’t work on them. I might just buy a whole set to consolidate down to one key.
Choose wisely.. for '94, you're still on the 2 different style key system. There may be kits out there that combine it to 1 style key but it's been so many years since I've messed with them, I don't know. The 95-up 1 key design is different for sure.

Seems like when I did newer door lock tumblers on my 92 when it got painted, the pawls were positioned upside-down and it was a battle in tight quarters to make them connect properly; the body shop guys half-assed it and I found myself locked out of the truck when the linkage rods fell apart inside the door.

It could also be possible that what my 92 was suffering was a combination of older lock cylinders and the newer style door handles.. again it's been a lot of years, I had the 92 painted back in.. oh.. '03? 17 years is a lot of time to forget small details. :D

Richard