'92 K2500 5.7 TBI - Crank for days and no start after intake gaskets...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get the damned numbering and bullets to SHUT OFF. So the numbering and bullets is now completely screwed up. Pay no attention...

UPDATE:

She's running... not with full power, though.
  1. Test drive report:In sunny 85 degree weather w/45% humidity it took it's time getting up to temperature - 180 t-stat is per Jet Performance specs - it barely gets there on the stock GM gauge
  • Is the temp gauge accurate?
  • "I" would shitcan the "Jet Performance" chip, and install a stock one, at least until the engine runs properly.
  • "I" would install a proper stock-temperature thermostat at least until the engine runs properly.
    • With new oil pressure sensor installed, oil pressure reads very low at idle - almost to the red on the stock GM gauge - then jumps up and reaches 30-35 psi under power
  1. You cranked for days, spraying enough fuel to foul the plugs. How much fuel is now contaminating the oil, making it thin, thin, thin,
Change oil and see what happens to the pressure.

Did you buy the RIGHT sending unit for the truck? Some sending units are for 0--60 psi gauges, some are for 0--80 psi gauges. Using the wrong sending unit will give you incorrect reading on the gauge.

• Stumbles under acceleration - exhaust note seems "loud" - not the smooth "tuned" note it had after we added the Jet chip last year.
    • Cruises along at speed OKAY, if not accelerating
    • Struggles to generate enough torque to get the tranny to kick down
WHAT IS THE FUEL PRESSURE?

gas gauge did not budge for a change!
  1. Basically, we are back to where we started prior to all the repairs - fluffy idle and weak/shaky engine under power - minus the really rough idle, horrible smelling exhaust, and poor fuel economy.
In MY driveway, that vehicle would be connected to a scan tool so I could see the data stream. Codes might be helpful, but the data stream tells (almost) all.
I am now very open to the suggestion that the timing chain is really gone and jumped a tooth...
If it would still run - and I've read arguments that it will not - out-of-sync valve timing would certainly explain most of these problems.

Not likely, since you said you rolled the engine over and watched the distributor rotor, and there wasn't much slack. A few degrees is normal, I replace timing set at ~10 degrees, and they aren't jumping at that amount.

Curious to hear thoughts about the vastly different spark plug conditions - some clean, some oiled up/black, some sooty/brown...
Already told you---probably oil burning. Maybe bad rings, maybe bad guides, maybe bad valve stem seals, maybe bad intake gaskets. You've replaced the intake gaskets. You already know that the engine was using a ton of fuel, and ran crappy, so the oil was probably thinned-out then like it's thinned-out now.

>>>>Change oil and filter, check fuel pressure, verify oil pressure with a known-good gauge, verify engine operating temperature with a meat thermometer in the rad filler neck, or an infra-rad "temp gun". Connect scan tool, view data stream. Look for problem areas.<<<<

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want the .adx file for version 5 to monitor/data log (.ads is for v4), and the .xdf file to work with your .bin file.