'92 K2500 5.7 TBI - Crank for days and no start after intake gaskets...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Yes, I had one wig out within a couple weeks - after market junk. Put in an AC Delco ICM and it's running smooth, worked for me...

Will do. Got her running with new plugs... Pic attached of totally fouled plugs with only 100 miles of testing and then cranking after IM gasket job. Wow!!

Thanks!!

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad, I've been working on getting my Knock counts down and went to R42LTS from the 44s (long reach because of my aluminum heads), it helped but, if you're burning oil or fouling plugs, maybe go to a hotter range?

Reaction score
Why are those plugs so rusty on the outside?

Not sure! I asked myself the same question! We live in Maine right near the ocean... Lot's of fog recently and truck has been sitting halfway in our barn door with hood open... Salt air must have got to them. It certainly eats everything else here!

Reaction score
UPDATE:

She's running... not with full power, though.
  1. Items completed since last post:
    • New plugs got motor to fire and run
    • Once hot in shop, checked timing - dead on at 0 w/ECM bypassed, approx 20 BTDC with ECM engaged
    • Performed base idle / IAC adjustment per the TBI tuning sheet posted in this thread
    • Checked vacuum - holds steady and solid at 18lbs - drops when throttle hit hard then levels right out again
    • Seemed problems were resolved
  2. Test drive report:
    • In sunny 85 degree weather w/45% humidity it took it's time getting up to temperature - 180 t-stat is per Jet Performance specs - it barely gets there on the stock GM gauge
    • Once heated up under load, fluffy idle and stumbling under acceleration condition that sent us on this mission reappeared
    • Rich-smelling exhaust and rough idle is gone, however - smells like a solid motor running 93 octane should smell
    • With new oil pressure sensor installed, oil pressure reads very low at idle - almost to the red on the stock GM gauge - then jumps up and reaches 30-35 psi under power
    • No oil in water nor antifreeze in oil
    • No smoke from motor or exhaust
    • Drove approx 30 miles in varied traffic and conditions
    • Only got up to 70 mph briefly, due to heavy local traffic - it's tourist season up heeyah
    • Stumbles under acceleration - exhaust note seems "loud" - not the smooth "tuned" note it had after we added the Jet chip last year.
    • Cruises along at speed OKAY, if not accelerating
    • Struggles to generate enough torque to get the tranny to kick down
    • Gas gauge did not budge for a change!
  3. Basically, we are back to where we started prior to all the repairs - fluffy idle and weak/shaky engine under power - minus the really rough idle, horrible smelling exhaust, and poor fuel economy.
I am now very open to the suggestion that the timing chain is really gone and jumped a tooth...
If it would still run - and I've read arguments that it will not - out-of-sync valve timing would certainly explain most of these problems.

Curious to hear thoughts about the vastly different spark plug conditions - some clean, some oiled up/black, some sooty/brown...

As always, we are very grateful for your input!

THANK YOU!