90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am loving this build mate, the part that impresses me the most is you are not holding anything back, you are building the truck that you want and the way that you want it. Keep up the great work and I will be follow your journey to see where it ends up.
I'm generally not a rule follower, I've owned a lot of mustangs, Mustangs are "me too" cars. oh you have a mustang me too. you learn to make them your own pretty fast.

there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the OBS, but some I just couldn't find. I found ONE company making a front splitter and it was several hundred dollars. I think I have maybe 200 in the hood vents, spoiler, and splitter combined.

the autometer gauges, autometer makes an install skit for a lot of late model Chevy cars and trucks, but not the 88-94. they make a 95+ kit.

I was almost forced to figure some things out.
I am generally one to show the faults along with the success, I know I don't know everything and I have and will make mistakes. I think its important to show the bad with the good, leaves a realistic expectation for others building their own stuff.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. You really breathed some life into the ol girl. It’s probably everything the previous owner had hoped it would’ve been when they had it. More importantly, I hope it’s what you want it to be - seems like it is.

Glad you joined!:cheers:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a baffle, I found one of the cheapo breathers I had was leaking oil. Since I was chasing oil leaks, that I now know was caused by the head gaskets. I was just narrowing down anything I could think of to find the leak.

The oil was seeping from all 4 corners of the intake because the head gasket ears were too short. But it was running in-between the head and block on the outside and getting everywhere.

I added a uv dye to the oil to help track where it was coming from..
Those corners where the heads,block and intake meet are always a problem area. The trick I found was to clean it well with carb or brake cleaner then push ultra grey silicone in the seam with your finger. Not having a PCV is giving you positive crankcase pressure which will push oil out everywhere it can find a gap. The PCV does two things,it creates negative crankcase pressure and adds a little top cylinder lubrication with the oil vapor it's pulling from the crankcase.

Last edited:

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those corners where the heads,block and intake meet are always a problem area. The trick I found was to clean it well with carb or brake cleaner then push ultra grey silicone in the seam with your finger. Not having a PCV is giving you positive crankcase pressure which will push oil out everywhere it can find a gap. The PCV does two things,it creates negative crankcase pressure and adds a little top cylinder lubrication with the oil vapor it's pulling from the crankcase.
I'll have to find the part number for the gaskets I used, one of the Chevelle forums were complaining about the specific part number I used, the ears are like a 1/4 or half inch too short, makes the corner leaking way worse. When I swapped intakes I forced some ultra gray into the seams and Gooped the china walls pretty good. Doesn't seem to be leaking now.

I'll have to look into a pcv system. I just hate oil going back into the combustion chamber even as a vapor. some of the newer vehicles have a catch can in line with the PVC hose, that could be a good solution. Defiantly something to add to my Mental list.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. You really breathed some life into the ol girl. It’s probably everything the previous owner had hoped it would’ve been when they had it. More importantly, I hope it’s what you want it to be - seems like it is.

Glad you joined!:cheers:
the Previous owner would probably be mad. he wanted it left as it was, said he had sentimental attachment a few times. I had no intention of going this far with the build this fast, I was just caught in the "While I'm in there" loop. Its a very dangerous place.

so far yes, its what I wanted. I am kind of glad the project is slowing down though.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely enjoyed reading through your adventure. Reminds me of some of my own adventures...to include the pyrotechnics! Ain't nothing like fryin' some nostril hairs and eyebrows to get your attention!!!

Thanks for the virtual ride :)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets figure out a front splitter. you can't have a pro touring truck without a front splitter.
Nice work. I do have to ask, what's the purpose of the truck? Is the splitter for real performance or for show? A splitter does nothing if it doesn't extend past the bumper. Any downforce created is lost when the split air pushes up on the bottom of the bumper. If you want more work to do you could always french the bumper. The spec I've heard is that you want the splitter 2" forward of everything above it.

End plates make a splitter much more effective. They can be 3D printed - all they have to do is keep the air from spilling off the end of the splitter.

the Previous owner would probably be mad. he wanted it left as it was, said he had sentimental attachment a few times.
Then he shouldn't have sold it. Trucks aren't sentimental, people are. The truck doesn't care. You do you.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to find the part number for the gaskets I used, one of the Chevelle forums were complaining about the specific part number I used, the ears are like a 1/4 or half inch too short, makes the corner leaking way worse. When I swapped intakes I forced some ultra gray into the seams and Gooped the china walls pretty good. Doesn't seem to be leaking now.

I'll have to look into a pcv system. I just hate oil going back into the combustion chamber even as a vapor. some of the newer vehicles have a catch can in line with the PVC hose, that could be a good solution. Defiantly something to add to my Mental list.
I've always used Fel-Pro head gaskets and have never had short ear issues. The last set was about three years ago when I built my latest 355. If you run a PCV and you're getting a lot of oil into your intake you've got ring problems. Another way to get positive crankcase ventilation is by using gulp valves plumbed into the exhaust,forced induction guys use that trick. Positive pressure in the bottom of the motor hurts HP by holding pressure against the bottom of the pistons and I don't think you're a guy that wants to lose any horses.