90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IX continued...
You must be registered for see images attach

here you can see 35 years worth of gunk and tobacco remnants being scrubbed away.. every panel in this truck got this treatment.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IX continued again...

I'm just trying to kill some time at this point until parts arrived...

I did new door glass, door window channel, new window lift thing I cant recall the name of right this second... new door latches, interior handle, made a new moisture barrier, painted the door.. you're on board at this point...

RIP IT ALL OUT!!!!

I did some surface rust removal from the floor boards, put a rust preventative on and decided sound deadening was next. where I went Probably over board..

Then added new carpet...

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IX STILL....

For whatever reason i decided I needed more sound deadening..

New headliner. and new over head light lenses...

I ditched the old permanently sticky steering wheel for a new one.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was trying to fund an option for a new seat or seats, at the time people were asking too much for 35 year old buckets (just my opinion) so I started looking through this forum and found someone installing some TMI seats. it had the look I was going for, WHY NOT?

I had a glass company come out and install a new front and rear windshield. the front windshield was delaminating and the back glass was leaky like we talked about previously. I opted for a non sliding rear window, for looks mostly, I think its a slick clean look (100% opinion do what you want on your truck)

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part X lets skip to the engine.

I started doing research on the parts I found and what I wanted to change that would be difficult to do later.

I ended up keeping the RPC heads, I found a few threads on a Chevelle forum talking about these and the company. (This isn't gospel its just what I read on the internet that made me feel okay with not spending another 1500+ on new heads.) from the limited research I did, they are comparable to AFR 195's. AFR still being better but not 1500+ better.

having a baby cam in it with no real way to get specs off of it, I opted for a comp cams replacement, I wanted a timing set replacement, and I bought new rockers, since I had a couple of bad ones I found when I pulled everything.

this is the cam kit I bought. I'm sure there will be someone that is going to say " that's not what you should have gotten, you should get this instead.. well buddy you're about a year too late

COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Cam and Lifter Kits K12-213-3.​

and I got some new valve covers since I didnt really like the bowtie ones it came with.

I ended up replacing the rear main seal (mental checklist). I scraped and cleaned the block and heads. ran a thread chaser through every freaking hole... and taped it up to paint. I chose Red, well.. because I already had it.. so red it is..

Last edited:

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part X continued,

heads on, valves checked, rocker lash adjusted.

I wish I could find the part number for the fel-pro headgaskets I used because they were not good, MLS and like 90 dollars a piece and the ears that go to the intake were too short causing oil leaks at all 4 corners, I'll have to edit later with the part number to stay away from.

some of you guys with a Keen eye might notice that's not the correct water pump, it spins in the wrong direction and causes cooling issues.. (spoiler alert) it runs eventuality...

More to come stay tuned..

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the cam that you are using? Do you foresee any issues with the stock computer?
Or is there a prom that can be changed in the computer to accommodate the cam?

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the cam that you are using? Do you foresee any issues with the stock computer?
Or is there a prom that can be changed in the computer to accommodate the cam?
The stock PCM is long gone, its carbureted now. I don't think it would have been a PCM happy cam though. you may search through the engine section and see what they are recommending in there for a stock PCM cam.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock PCM is long gone, its carbureted now. I don't think it would have been a PCM happy cam though. you may search through the engine section and see what they are recommending in there for a stock PCM cam.
That engine could have been run with TBI and tuning to the ECM.
If you haven't done so already sell that POS Holley and get a Q-jet. Edelbrock did a good job of reproducing the Rochester Q-jet or you can get a core off evilbay and rebuild it yourself. With a WBO2 sensor,controller and whatever type of gauge you prefer you can dial that carb in to give the fuel economy and performance of MPFI.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part XI lets talk about transmissions.

I was on the hunt for something to replace my now broken NV3500.
several options surprisingly.
NV4500... I don't feel this is exactly a "performance option"
another NV3500 … no, I don't want another mishap..
a T-5... I've never really been a fan, and I feel like it wouldn't hold up to me.
how about an F body T56... that would be awesome, oh you have to convert to a mid shift, I don't break down transmissions. (I don't care how easy it is, it's not work I ever want to do)

Now we're day dreaming and looking at T-56 magnums on summit racing. a little more than I wanted to pay, the kits are very expensive, but they come with just about everything you need for the swap.

what about a TKX only a 5 speed but looks promising, I didn't previously like the TKO transmissions so I am a little weary. a little less expensive and still comes with just about everything you need.

I ended up calling American powertrain to ask about their kits, the guy i spoke with was very helpful (sales guy huge surprise). I was leaning HARD towards the TKX. in my usual fashion I wanted to think about it before I just spent a boat load of money on a transmission.

I talked myself into it, Its brand new, you wont have to worry about it, ect.ect. I bought a transmission. and the wait starts.

you don't have to wait just me...