90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to catch post #50.. here is the first attempt at startup, the timing was defiantly off...

My wife was cranking it from inside the truck.. you should have seen her face LMAO it was priceless...
You must be registered for see images attach
As scary as it is when it happens, it made a really great picture as the orange of the flame reflected of every surface. I think everyone who has had an engine apart has experienced this very situation at least once on the first crank. So glad you took so many pictures as you went, it's not until you look back that you remember all of what you have accomplished. I'm hooked on your story so far, don't stop now. :)

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XIII... Running again.

At this point the truck is running again for whatever reason it keeps over heating.
I was pretty baffled and frustrated as to why. New 3 core aluminum radiator, new T stat, new watter pump, cooling system burped. I eventually start looking at the water pump and see that the new one looks slightly different that the old one. decided to take a few steps backwards and pull the pump. to me it was the most likely issue. the aluminum housing version spins the wrong way for my belt drive. who would have thought...( that's rhetorical )

I even decided to look at the heater core to see if it was clogged or what, that thing looks brand new.. score!

and while I was in the floorboard again new blower motor because it was squealing like a pig.. lol

I drove it..

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As scary as it is when it happens, it made a really great picture as the orange of the flame reflected of every surface. I think everyone who has had an engine apart has experienced this very situation at least once on the first crank. So glad you took so many pictures as you went, it's not until you look back that you remember all of what you have accomplished. I'm hooked on your story so far, don't stop now. :)
yeah not the first time it's happened. I only lost a little arm hair on this one.. if you look in the bottom left I had a pair of cutters ready to cut a battery cable if things went too wrong

This was a still shot from a video I can't find anymore I'll make another pass and see if it pops up. I took a lot of pictures at the time to share with some of my friends as I was working on it.

I'm nearing the point where I sort of make a turn and start the personalization part, making it something a little different than the Norm.

Thanks for following along.

Last edited:

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XIV... Mental checklist

My mental checklist of broken or not quite right things I found its time to fix. these are going to be pretty self explanatory photos. not a whole lot of explanation required.

Why do the headlights suck? OH...

This is what's left of the brake caliper pins.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XV ...I hate this exhaust..

this is a currently unfinished chapter. as I am still working of a few things and don't want to do the exhaust more than once.

But here's a run down.

Crappy WAY too small shorties with a jaw-dropping 1.5 inch collector :33: WHY?
No worries I got it covered. I also Hated that the exhaust doesn't have a crossover, I have always hated the true dual sound, this one is getting an X pipe and full three inch tubing I can't wait to finish this part.. Spintech pro street 9000 "Mufflers" lol

this chapter won't be closed for a little while, as I'm currently working on something else. a probably early March..

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XVI... Lets wrap up the interior.

I mentioned the American powertrain kit came with almost everything. one thing it didn't have was a shift stick I actually liked. originally it came with a Lokar stick I didn't like at all..

I fashioned one out of a few parts I found on amazon until I could fine or make a descent replacement. looked okay but it was fragile.

I ordered a set of Coverlay door panels, this version is just okay, I'm not a big fan. they were better than the stained scratched up broken stuff i had but i just expected more..

HOLY crap I found the Perfect shift stick...

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just enjoy the story...

if you're a purist you may want to look away its about to head in a weird direction..
Ha-ha,no purist here brother. I just built a 88 commission rifle in 270 Win. Got the real purist jumping out of their pants. I didn't recommend the Q-jet because it's GM,I recommended it because it's the best 4bbl carb that was ever built. Hell I'd hang one on a Ford! Used to replace thermoquads on Mopars with Q-jets.

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XVI continued...

Gauges, I liked the moon gauges that were in it, half of them didn't work and the other half only worked occasionally. I didn't like the cheap tach mounted to the dash..

say it with me now.... RIP IT ALL OUT!!!!

I ordered the Autometer digital gauges panel. an AEM wideband and started trying to figure out how to wire it.. Incoming self loathing and doubt...

I found a wiring pinout on line and started making my own conversion chart so i knew what factory wires went to what Autometer wires..

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Cheezebandit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the interior basically wrapped up.. I moved on to fixing a few things on the outside, I ended up finding a grill and likeghts that were not glued together. I painted the bumper, fixed a dent or two. Re painted the hood. to try and smooth it back out from being banged around the garage