'88 RCLB C3500 "Roscoe P. Coltrane"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I think part of it, is you're saving one that was cast off, and we all want to do that. No surprise that a lot of us seem to have rescue animals or be foster parents....
One mans trash is another mans treasure :anitoof:.

I stay around for this build because I like seeing someones field truck be turned into someones -insert truck/car thing here-. I want to save on a S10 thats been sitting in the woods in MI, but I know I can't because I don't have the room.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
One mans trash is another mans treasure :anitoof:.

I stay around for this build because I like seeing someones field truck be turned into someones -insert truck/car thing here-. I want to save on a S10 thats been sitting in the woods in MI, but I know I can't because I don't have the room.
Just like when I saw that 92 Blazer at LKQ. It's like"why is this in here?" except that I know how sometimes good vehicles have to leave your ownership. I already have too many projects....

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the vinyl paint you used? I'm changing my interior colour and would appreciate a recommendation from someone who knows what they're doing

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the vinyl paint you used?

I'm working on editing the video from painting my interior, but OpenShot is being a pain in the butt. I like Duplicolor because you can buy it pretty much anywhere. I use Barkeep's Friend to clean the surface for paint. Note that you can buy the Duplicolor at O'Reilly's by the can cheaper than you can buy it from Amazon.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dash, A/C, and ECU harness have been acquired. $39 at Pull-A-Part, and I also got the fender trim piece that fits right behind the right side of the front bumper. There's probably half a dozen early GMT400s at the OKC Pull-A-Part right now. One is a dually with the DRW front hubs and brakes, which stinks, because I'm looking to swap to the SRW front hubs and brakes. The truck I got these harnesses from had a fair bit of the dash trim in good shape. I may go back this week and get the rest of the harnesses. I did notice that every single Suburban had the temp/compass mirror robbed. The mirror that came with this truck is in sad shape, and I'd really like to replace it with the fancy one. All the side mirrors on all the trucks were gone - the elephant ear mirrors on this truck are dinged and bent.

These harness pictured below are missing a few bits and have some cuts, but the dash and A/C harness are 100% better than what I have, and I don't have an ECU harness (nor ECU!) at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Before I start replacing the harnesses, I'm going to pull the heater core and A/C out and reseal/refoam them. Really I just wanted to get out in the nice weather and see what was available at PAP.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OKC PAP is independently owned, and not part of the national chain. They are absolutely awesome! Did I mention that this weekend long blocks are $125? I spotted a TBI engine with roller cam provisions, but with my arm slinged up and a deadline to get the wiring harnesses, I didn't check to see if it had 4-bolt mains.

Yup, I wish you were closer, and not just because I really enjoy South Carolina (I lived in Goose Creek when I was a kid).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the A/C and heater out today.

I split the box open and, "SURPRISE!", I found even more mouse turds.

The heater core and evaporator look to be in pretty good shape, and other than a single hole and the general funkiness, it's all in good shape. I need to order a mode door because the plastic end is chewed/broken, but other than that I think it'll clean up and reseal well. I do need a crapload of the little screws that hold it together - about half were missing.

What's the best foam that everyone uses to seal these to the firewall, and to seal the heater core and evaporator to the case? I'm planning to use black RTV to seal the case pieces together.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I got the A/C and heater out today.

I split the box open and, "SURPRISE!", I found even more mouse turds.

The heater core and evaporator look to be in pretty good shape, and other than a single hole and the general funkiness, it's all in good shape. I need to order a mode door because the plastic end is chewed/broken, but other than that I think it'll clean up and reseal well. I do need a crapload of the little screws that hold it together - about half were missing.

What's the best foam that everyone uses to seal these to the firewall, and to seal the heater core and evaporator to the case? I'm planning to use black RTV to seal the case pieces together.

Never done it, but I don't think I'd use RTV. I'd probbaly try rope caulk. It would be much easier to repair. For the foam, I'd probably try weather stripping that comes in a roll, of maybe check ebay/Amazon for a sheet of foam that won't absorb water for the area where the lines pass through the firewall. Since I've never had my box out, I've packed "duct seal" (from Lowes) around the heater core lines from the engine compartment side to seal it up. The foam on my truck is in terrible shape.

And WOW that's a lot of crap in that box!!!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
So glad the little amount of hanta virus hotel that I found in my truck so far was it. I have not had the a/c box apart, though.