'88 RCLB C3500 "Roscoe P. Coltrane"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have everything washed out. I had to JB Weld one of the tabs back onto the evaporator box and repair a couple holes where the mice chewed through. The air inlet valve (recirculate door) has an edge gnawed off of it and the temperature valve (blend door) is age-warped. RockAuto doesn't show them, so I googled to see if I could get them, and everything's coming up "discontinued".

"Air Inlet Valve" P/N 3090355
"Temperature Valve" P/N 3090357

Anybody got a source? I need to start putting this back together, and if I have to, I'll make the edge of that seal out of gorilla tape... but I'll probably hit up Pull-A-Part for one first.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After spending time patching up the existing A/C and heater case, I made a trip to Pull-A-Part today to get an entire assembly with intact doors. I raided the same truck I got wiring harnesses from last week, but the case was busted in a couple places. Further down the row I found another early GMT400 with the dash out and case exposed. It, also, was busted up. Ten minutes on the tailgate and I got the case I wanted. I completely reassembled the other case, because I don't want to be that dirtbag who trashes everything at Pull-A-Part, and left it in the cab.

Then I realized the first truck had a good elephant-ear mirror, so I nabbed it. Then, walking down the aisles, I found a good condition rear bumper!

Just so you know, pulling a bumper with rusty bolts with one good arm is an exceptional workout. The receiver under the bumper was junk - it's for a different chassis and the ends are bent to match up to the GMT400 frame.

Across the aisle was a squarebody Suburban, and under it was a fantastic Draw-Tite Class III receiver, already unbolted. There was a guy rummaging the interior, and I told him if he didn't want it, I did. He declined. I grabbed it and sized it up to the GMT400 frame... and the rear frame on squarebodies drops at an angle, whereas the GMT400s don't. It won't fit. Dangit! I did see a very nice GMT800 receiver and I'm wondering if it's worth going back in the next few days. Anybody know if it will fit?

Back at home, $69 total, but totally forgot to toss a blower resistor into the heater case.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
After spending time patching up the existing A/C and heater case, I made a trip to Pull-A-Part today to get an entire assembly with intact doors. I raided the same truck I got wiring harnesses from last week, but the case was busted in a couple places. Further down the row I found another early GMT400 with the dash out and case exposed. It, also, was busted up. Ten minutes on the tailgate and I got the case I wanted. I completely reassembled the other case, because I don't want to be that dirtbag who trashes everything at Pull-A-Part, and left it in the cab.

Then I realized the first truck had a good elephant-ear mirror, so I nabbed it. Then, walking down the aisles, I found a good condition rear bumper!

Just so you know, pulling a bumper with rusty bolts with one good arm is an exceptional workout. The receiver under the bumper was junk - it's for a different chassis and the ends are bent to match up to the GMT400 frame.

Across the aisle was a squarebody Suburban, and under it was a fantastic Draw-Tite Class III receiver, already unbolted. There was a guy rummaging the interior, and I told him if he didn't want it, I did. He declined. I grabbed it and sized it up to the GMT400 frame... and the rear frame on squarebodies drops at an angle, whereas the GMT400s don't. It won't fit. Dangit! I did see a very nice GMT800 receiver and I'm wondering if it's worth going back in the next few days. Anybody know if it will fit?

Back at home, $69 total, but totally forgot to toss a blower resistor into the heater case.

Good scores! Makes me want to go back out to the U Pull and Pay, but I don't have time until after the show.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By "toss in" I meant bolt in, not "lemme hide this in here so I can get it for free". My current blower resistor doesn't look bad, but it pays to have a spare on hand.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interior progress. Once I get all the surface rust wire-wheeled out, primered, and painted, I can start reassembly.

I had my one-month checkup after my surgery and my doctor told me to set aside the sling and start using my arm - but don't do anything that causes pain. I have a few more things to do to Way Cool Jr before the 30th, but I'm ready to rock and roll on Roscoe. I'm hoping to hit up Pull-A-Part tomorrow and get some hood hardware and other stuff.

The other day I tried removing the T50 bolts that hold the upper anchor of the seatbelts in place, and I broke my bit. I ordered a Sunex T50 Impact Socket from Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. Guess what?

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I have no words of wisdom for that, mine came out perfectly fine. Then again, I think I used my impact on them lol.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impact wouldn't touch it. I tried my breakover bar and snapped the tip off, but it broke off with less torque than I expected. I tried a pipe wrench and cheater pipe on it, and the wrench chipped metal pieces off the head of the bolt. I think it's going to need some heat, and that's going to ruin the seat belt and possibly the B-pillar trim.