The Doghouse. 1994 K2500 RCLB.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Named after where I'll be found for a while since it followed me home yesterday is the 1994 K2500 RCLB with a 5.7L and 5 speed. I suspect its a NV4500 but need to confirm that. Bought it for the plow set uo but may be bringing it back to a useful state. Slowly if so.

Step one, assessment of condition and get the plow operational for trasfer to my Suburban for use. Truck has sat since 2017/2018 with suspected blown head gasket.

Step two, make the decision on rehab or parts truck. While we could use a truck again, we've made do without one for about 4 years.

Any pointers on approaches for assessing the state of the engine are welcome.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nice, any pictures? Is this the truck you posted before that had the plow on it?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, any pictures? Is this the truck you posted before that had the plow on it?
Same truck. I dont have much for pictures, just what was put in the transmission thread. I'll grab a few this evening if it's light when I get home.

Plow is currently in the bed with hoop and all on the front. Throwing a charger on battery this evening to see if it'll charge and run plow pump at all.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Awesome! You got a good deal, if it is a NV4500, even better!

You'll want to completely empty the rams and probably get new hoses and fittings before installing on your suburban. And put real snow plow fluid in it, I ran ATF for one season and had constant problems in sub-0 temps.

Also, print this out and keep it in the truck at all times...

You can usually find any problems within 15 mins with their flow charts.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome! You got a good deal, if it is a NV4500, even better!

You'll want to completely empty the rams and probably get new hoses and fittings before installing on your suburban. And put real snow plow fluid in it, I ran ATF for one season and had constant problems in sub-0 temps.

Also, print this out and keep it in the truck at all times...

You can usually find any problems within 15 mins with their flow charts.
Thank you for the reference and advice. I'm assuming the diagnostics are similar for the E‐60 pumps? I've not dived into that rabbit hole, yet.

Hoses are on the short list once I know the electronics are fully functional. Trying to make sure I've got it working before moving stuff and sorting out unknowns plus my screw ups.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea for sure.

The E60 and E60H are similar but different, lol. They use the same solenoids and electronics, they are direct plug and play that way but the repair manual and some diagnostics are different. You'll also have to weld extensions onto the lift ram if you switch to an E60H, the H is for High-lift. I can take pics of mine if you want.

If you need new solenoids, be sure to take the take the hydraulic part out and replace O-Rings while your there. Easy and cheap while your there.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Yea for sure.

The E60 and E60H are similar but different, lol. They use the same solenoids and electronics, they are direct plug and play that way but the repair manual and some diagnostics are different. You'll also have to weld extensions onto the lift ram if you switch to an E60H, the H is for High-lift. I can take pics of mine if you want.

If you need new solenoids, be sure to take the take the hydraulic part out and replace O-Rings while your there. Easy and cheap while your there.
I won't pass on pictures but I'm not gonna ask you to spend time on it yet. Once I've put some time into my end, I may need to tap your knowledge on it.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1000008376.jpg
    1000008376.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1000008377.jpg
    1000008377.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1000008378.jpg
    1000008378.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 20

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score

As it sat in its previous home, on the trailer, and a few shots from arriving at my place.

Yanked the plow motor off, seized up of course. Yeah, kind of expected that but at least the battery the truck came with took a charge. I planned on rebuilding the plow pump but hoped not to need a replacement motor for a few years.