1988-1994 "Moon" Gauge Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@fancyTBI - If it isn't missing there should be a tag/sticker with a part number that will indicate if it's 6-CLY or 8-CLY
Ya know.... of all of the stuff I took photos of last night. I forgot that!

I'm pretty sure that the V8 gauge cluster for my truck is PN 16121005. I'm going to check this with the sticker on my truck when I get home, too.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@fancyTBI - If it isn't missing there should be a tag/sticker with a part number that will indicate if it's 6-CLY or 8-CLY
You must be registered for see images attach
Thank you! I cross referenced my P/N to Nemiga Parts and found that it was offered in V8 trucks. I bet I’ll have to modify the DRAC module, which will be exciting for me to try out! Richard’s guide will sure be handy.

Here is my cluster:

Here is the description according to Nemiga parts:

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An easy way to confirm whether or not your specific truck was included in the wiring changes is to check for ground on pin B11. Looking at the connecter it will be the bottom row of pins and they count from 1 to 17 right to left. If a pin is populated in B11, you have the 1991 wiring/pin out. No pin populated in B11 and you have the 88-90 wiring.
If the service manual is correct, all 1991 trucks should be pre-wired for a tach. Me, I would double check for ground on B11.

If you go with a 88-90 moonie cluster you'll need to move the following pins around:
A10 to A11
A9 to A10
B11 to B15
Unpin B15 (tach lead) and tape it off or secure it so it can't make contact with anything (or make it available for later if you put an aftermarket tach in).
Well, it turns out that I do have the 1991 cluster and plug. There is a pin in B11 and B15.

Also, the cluster PN is 16121005, which crosses over to the 1991 C series with a V8 (1500/2500/3500).

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a nice cluster, a take-out of my '89 Cheyenne, that you can have for postage. Needs a lense cover, as I tried to clean it and the cleaning agent caused the plastic to haze. Other than that, it works just fine. Send me a PM if interested

Attachments

• DSCN0774.JPG
    DSCN0774.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 8

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
True, and I would if there wasn't a burnt capacitor on the circuit board. I'll definitely keep that in mind, too. Thanks for that thought!
I can't make it out from your pic but it's not badly damaged so you should be able to figure it out easily.

1. the uF (microfarad) rating which must match exactly
2. the voltage rating, which doesn't need to match, just don't go below
3. the temperature rating, doesn't need to match, just don't go below

The orientation on the board is polarity specific - you'll see +/- markings on the cap

The type of capacitor is an axial electrolytic.

Richard

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a nice cluster, a take-out of my '89 Cheyenne, that you can have for postage. Needs a lense cover, as I tried to clean it and the cleaning agent caused the plastic to haze. Other than that, it works just fine. Send me a PM if interested
Thank you! Send you a PM
I can't make it out from your pic but it's not badly damaged so you should be able to figure it out easily.

1. the uF (microfarad) rating which must match exactly
2. the voltage rating, which doesn't need to match, just don't go below
3. the temperature rating, doesn't need to match, just don't go below

The orientation on the board is polarity specific - you'll see +/- markings on the cap

The type of capacitor is an axial electrolytic.

Richard
Awesome! I'm going to take Leeztruk up on the offer, so possibly I can use that cluster for parts. Ironically, my lens cover is in really good shape, just needs a good soap n water cleaning.

With a little (very little) further investigation, it turns out the burned area, near the opening for the motor, is just on the conformal coating. The copper trace under it looks good. I'll clean that up and put some clear nail polish over it (my lady is a nail tech, so I have access to a lot of that. She's going to also redo the florescent orange lines on the gauges with nail polish).

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The damage to the circuit board looks super easy to repair, you can solder a jumper wire across the burnt area. That bad capacitor is no big deal, too.
I see lots of corroded component legs ......corrosion on the legs of that 8 pin chip in the one pic.
Would be neat if there were actual schematics of things. Sometimes useful in case stuff goes sideways when removing things..looks easy enough...single sided board?

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see lots of corroded component legs ......corrosion on the legs of that 8 pin chip in the one pic.
Would be neat if there were actual schematics of things. Sometimes useful in case stuff goes sideways when removing things..looks easy enough...single sided board?
If you mean components only on one side then yes.

I didn't pay much attention to the other components on the board. Everything worked except the odometer though. We'll see what it take to fix it when I get more stuff in.

WAM62

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi there, just bought a ‘91 needle cluster with tach today, bought it as a spare as I have one in my ‘88 K2500 and would sell the other one for $350.00 plus postage, let me know if you are interested
cheers
wayne

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5