1988-1994 "Moon" Gauge Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
89RCLB, thank you so much for that information! I could actually unpin B15 then, and use it for a signal to an aftermarket tach, then (provided it's there).

Tonight I'll check for the ground pin on B11 to make sure. I may just have to bite the bullet and get the 91 specific cluster, if that's the case. I'd really like to keep the truck as original in the wiring as possible.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The damage to the circuit board looks super easy to repair, you can solder a jumper wire across the burnt area. That bad capacitor is no big deal, too.

1991 is a one-year cluster and for a drop-in replacement it would have to be from another 1991. If you luck out and find the rare-ish 1991 needle/tach cluster, you'd want it to be from a truck with same number of cylinders (V6 or V8) for the tach to read correctly.

1988-1990 clusters can be made to work if you move 3 wires around in the harness connector (as 89RCLB mentioned)

Any 1988-1991 replacement cluster you get you'd likely have to recalibrate the speedometer which is done on-board.

IMO you'd probably be better off repairing yours.

People advertising any of these clusters including the years 1992-1994 have no idea what they're talking about and can be safely ignored. ;)

Richard
Was going to edit my post to include the recalibration aspect but you beat me to it :) Thanks.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The damage to the circuit board looks super easy to repair, you can solder a jumper wire across the burnt area. That bad capacitor is no big deal, too.

1991 is a one-year cluster and for a drop-in replacement it would have to be from another 1991. If you luck out and find the rare-ish 1991 needle/tach cluster, you'd want it to be from a truck with same number of cylinders (V6 or V8) for the tach to read correctly.

1988-1990 clusters can be made to work if you move 3 wires around in the harness connector (as 89RCLB mentioned)

Any 1988-1991 replacement cluster you get you'd likely have to recalibrate the speedometer which is done on-board.

IMO you'd probably be better off repairing yours.

People advertising any of these clusters including the years 1992-1994 have no idea what they're talking about and can be safely ignored. ;)

I guess I could replace the capacitor if I knew how to decipher the requirements for it. I can solder at board level, though it's been 30-years since I last had to do it...

Y'all are the best. So glad I joined this site!!!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you luck out and find the rare-ish 1991 needle/tach cluster, you'd want it to be from a truck with same number of cylinders (V6 or V8) for the tach to read correctly
Does this apply to ‘91 only or any cluster with a tach? I bought a nice tach cluster for my ‘94, but I’m not sure if it was from a V8 or V6 truck.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I do not know about the 95+ trucks
seeing as that all 95+ trucks have a tach gauge cluster I have no idea what so ever what would happen if you swaped one from a v6 truck into a v8 truck or the other way around or if you swaped a diesel cluster

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
seeing as that all 95+ trucks have a tach gauge cluster I have no idea what so ever what would happen if you swaped one from a v6 truck into a v8 truck or the other way around or if you swaped a diesel cluster
Tach wouldn't work properly. All of them rely on the signal of the engine they were shipped with, so V8 cluster needs a V8 engine and a gasser will not work with a diesel. True for all GMT400s. You can use a cluster from a truck with a 305 in a truck with a 454, but 4.3 is gonna be one-off as will diesel.