'88 RCLB C3500 "Roscoe P. Coltrane"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running it 150' to a 100a panel. If everything's on, the compressor's running and I'm welding (entirely feasible) 1/0 1/0 1/0 0 is borderline. It would be enough if it was 100', but that extra 50' bumps me up one size. But, I'm an amateur. If anybody's a licensed electrician and would like to advise, my ears are open.

A year before Covid I got an electrician shop to give me an estimate on running the wire and wiring up a couple things I had unfinished. They quoted me $5000. I did the other work and then called back right after Covid hit, and the price jumped to $7000, with less work for them to do. For $7000 I'll do it myself. The shop itself is fully conduited with a 100a panel, 12 LED panels in the rafters, a GFI protected 4x box on each 10' section, and 6 NEMA50 220v plugs, and I did that myself.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. Are you going underground or overhead? Wire in free air is rated higher than in conduit. It's totally up to you if want to pay the extra cost for bigger wire and conduit just in case you're running everything at once. I know utility companies "Power Factor" loads by up to 60%.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran Al. 4-4-4-2 THWN in PVC conduit to my detached garage, but my run was only 40'.

I've got a 7.5 HP air compressor (although I usually run my 2HP, unless I'm spray painting), 250A welder (I've never ran it at max, more like 125A weld output), refrigerator, deep freezer and gate opener. Everything else is small typical stuff like lights, band saw, portable table saw, etc. Last Fall I wired a 240V inverter window AC and I have a 50kbtu natural gas heater that I occasionally run when it gets really cold and I'm working in there. I thought if I ever bought a plasma cutter and the air compressor running was going to be the highest power demand.

I'll have to double check, but I think I'm running like a 50A breaker because THD didn't have anything higher when I powered everything. I had a 50A breaker left over because I converted electric range to gas. I'm a one-man show, so I physically really can't be running all the power tools together unless I clone myself, LOL.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Running my garage on a 50a breaker as well, and it's about 100' from the house, with the wire buried in conduit. Don't remember what size wire I used, it was a good 20 years ago, when I did it. My welder is a cheaper 120v version, but haven't had any issues with it running, and a compressor hardwared in at 240v. I also have my 30a camper plugged in down there too. Never had all that running at max, at the same time, though. I'm sure that would be a serious load.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dash is out. This time I filmed it so I would know how everything goes back together. Two and a half hours of video, and I spent three hours last night editing it down to a little over an hour. I still have a bit to edit and I'll post it to YouTube so anyone can reference it.

You must be registered for see images attach

The wiring is fairly bad, but fortunately it looks like the stereo took the brunt of the attack.

As I was working with the camera in the bed, facing into the dash, I found one rust-through point, and it's not where I expected.