88 GMC Trail/DD Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An 88 K5 with 350/700r. The odometer only read 60k miles plus change. Not bad for an 80 dollar find.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what junkyard are you scoring all these parts from? the pick n pull on myers rd in east cuse? or do you know of some other good spots?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You Pull, You Save on Myers Rd. Just have to have luck on your side when you go and know what trucks you are looking for. I stumbled upon both the np205 and the 241 on accident. The 205 was sitting in line on a bare frame going into the crusher and the 241 was lying on the ground next to the truck because someone wanted just the 700r. The axles I was looking for and they just happened to have trucks that had them when I went. Took about a month though going once a week to find a SRW FF14 and the Kingpin 60.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Sub'd to see some build progress.

What are your overall size goal, tires, wheels, etc?

Are you planning on keeping your stock speedometer? if you do, you'll need a transfercase with an electric speedometer. Pretty much the only option is 90-91 pass drop NP241 or the very rare 90-91 NP205, both from V-series full size. The 88 version NP241 would be cable driven.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard quite a few people get some good scores from there. I need to get my ass up there on my day off and raid the place. I don't really need much but I wouldn't mind some spare parts and stuff for when my junk breaks. Think you're going to get the SFA swap done before winter hits?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88GMCtruck, I took your advice and grabbed the 241. The truck had an 88' K5 owners manual in it along with the Reg and it has electronic VSS.
You must be registered for see images

As for the basic plan. I want to sit as low as possible over 37" Pitbull Rocker Radials so maybe 4" lift give or take. I originally wanted the 42" Radial Rockers but its a 50 mile drive to work for me and I'm taking my Paramedic class in the fall which is another 2 hours from home so I gotta be somewhat "practical". As for rims, if I can find a set of H1s I'd like to ideally go that route. If not it'll be a set of steelies.

Bizzo, That yard has a ton of stuff in it if you know where to look. There is one kid there that will charge you out the ass for parts if he doesn't know what they are so be careful. I'm hoping to start blowing color on the truck within the next couple weeks, sell my 99 Sub and get the new frame in the garage and start boxing it and setting up the 4 link. I'm gonna have to build it minus lockers and all that jazz at first because I'm paying for my Paramedic out of pocket so I can't go balls to the wall like I had hoped.

Sorry for the lack of progress.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
88GMCtruck, I took your advice and grabbed the 241. The truck had an 88' K5 owners manual in it along with the Reg and it has electronic VSS.

As for the basic plan. I want to sit as low as possible over 37" Pitbull Rocker Radials so maybe 4" lift give or take. I originally wanted the 42" Radial Rockers but its a 50 mile drive to work for me and I'm taking my Paramedic class in the fall which is another 2 hours from home so I gotta be somewhat "practical". As for rims, if I can find a set of H1s I'd like to ideally go that route. If not it'll be a set of steelies.

Bizzo, That yard has a ton of stuff in it if you know where to look. There is one kid there that will charge you out the ass for parts if he doesn't know what they are so be careful. I'm hoping to start blowing color on the truck within the next couple weeks, sell my 99 Sub and get the new frame in the garage and start boxing it and setting up the 4 link. I'm gonna have to build it minus lockers and all that jazz at first because I'm paying for my Paramedic out of pocket so I can't go balls to the wall like I had hoped.

Sorry for the lack of progress.

That is very odd, I've never seen an 88 K5 with a NP241 with electric speedo unless it was a 90 or 91. The gm ECP also shows the 88-89s as cable speedo. Did you actually pull it from that rig, or is it possible someone just sat it there?

Anyway, as far your lift height and tire size, are you planning to flex at all? if you are, 37s and 4" of lift isn't going to be enough. I have about 8" of lift and i rub up front with 35s.... to the point where i can't turn if one side is compressed.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, coulda been left there. As far as the lift hight 4" is probably way too low, but 8" seems awefully excessive. Its not crazy to think that you can SAS, keep it low, flexy and still stuff tires. And at ride I want it LOW. I fully plan on trimming to fit as well as bumping the axle forward to clear the firewall. Flex shouldn't be an issue. Instead of looking for flex on the compression side, why not set it up to utilize more droop than compression. For instance, Jason at PacFab's 3500. Granted they are 35s but its the same principal. Next to no trimming and claims 5-6" if lift.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
That is pretty much what I have done with my truck. I only have about 4.5" of uptravel in the front, and 10" down. I honestly think anything less is going to kill your ride, cause you'll need stiffer springs so your not always bottoming out on bumpstops and whatnot. I think 6" is entirely do-able with a SAS but you will be limted still. As far as uptravel goes, this is going to be your biggest problem. the front hanger for your IFS, and the front portion of the frame. They hang down low, very low.

I ended up cutting the entire IFS bracket off and flat plating it. Even with all the work done to it, this is where the springs hit first under compression.

On top of the really low hanging frame, the fender openings aren't very big so unless you planning to do quite a bit of trimming you will run just like I do, if not worse with less lift and 37s. like I said, I'm at 8" with 35's and I'm rubbing. I haven't trimmed anything on my truck (not even the bumper) which i how I intended it. I could run 37s or 38s with trimming i'm sure.

What my tires look like stuffed....Oh and i'm 16x8s with 4.5" backspacing.

Downtravel