to flip or not to flip on a 1995 obs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does a plasma heat the metal? I'd use a death wheel to cut the coil. Heated coils suck ass.
I'd suspect a plasma cutter would heat the spring more than a cutoff wheel. Also, you're not likely to get a nice cut with a hobbyist-size plasma cutter. Mine struggles with anything thicker than 1/4" plate.

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
618 the plasma cutter heat transference on the coil at the point of cutting would have a radius about the size of a quarter and the cutting time maybe 5 seconds to cut through the coil, but I would agree that any heat transference in a coil that has been heat tempered is not good, the death wheel is the way to go. Orpedcrow I agree with you on the geometry, I know we're talking lowering but raising a truck has the same geometry issue as well, I did my GMC 2500 4x4 using a new UCA kit with new keys for the torsion bars etc... allowing me to keep all factory parts up front and retaining the factory geometry and ride and keeping the UCA from hitting the factory bump stop, kit had 4 Bilstiens did the alinement and good to go. The kit was good up to a 4" lift, I used it to just level the truck stance.

A lot of good info here, as for me and being armed with this info from you guys the 4/6 drop is it, so with out doing further research and after reading your post, the flip in the back I'll be able to retain the oem springs which are in great shape as well as there bushings, do the shock extenders, front will be drop control arms, gotta do the whole front end anyway, this way I get new bushing and ball joints while retaining the oem geometry. I think the tire size up front thats on it now will be wrong for it, but I can change that out after the drop. Now to do some research on the kits that are out there and check out they're $$ for them, 618 thanks for the heads up on the flip kit, Orpedcrow thanks for the info on geometry, makes more sense to me to do DCA's than messing around with new dropped springs and spindles and dealing with a "stiffer" ride, plus I'll be able to keep the oem spindle/caliper which are in great working order and since I'll be doing the work to me is a big $ saver! Spindles/springs verse's DCA's/cutting spring seems to be 6's I guess, but in my case geometry and ride are more important to me. Thanks again for everybody's input, advice and opinions with this drop, this will save me some grief and time and $ in the end!!

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My bad!!! Thanks 95 burb for the link on the IHC kit!! That seems to be the way to go, its all there for the drop!! Thanks 618 for the link on that rear flip kit!! I didn't pay attention to who had what links posted sorry:rolleyes:!!

budzrex

Reaction score
Real Happy with the ride and handling of our 4/6 Ridetech Street Grip kit came complete and easy install. just got back from a 200 mile round trip to a cars and coffee then off to lunch everything from backroads to interstate

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
budzrex that sounds awesome was just checking out the IHC kit on there site, next is to check out the Ridetech Street grip kit next, thanks for the info on this kit!! Used a lot of Ridetech kits on caddys I've dropped for guys in the club, there work is on there stuff is great all there welds and stuff, installed a lot of Ridetech shocks on the caddys and they seem happy with how they ride! Thats what we want to do is the cars and coffee and some shows in the future with the truck plus be able to DD it as needed. Thanks again, enjoy the ride and have fun!!

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another PRO about a kit that uses DCAs is being able to still run 15in wheels without any trimming

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I was just reading about that 95burban, and going in and out to the garage and taking measurements on the truck, went to ride tech's site WOW!! sticker shock there for this ol'man!!! hell I was gonna heat the springs with oxy/acet. throw a block under the axle in the back and call it good!!! But thats not how to do it, back in the day ya, but not now, got a lot of choices out there to drop it right!! $ wise for me the IHC kit looks like the ticket, plus made in the USA from your neck of the woods, seems well made with quality parts and pretty straight forward as far as install only thing that I can find bad about it is no provision for the brake line bracket or the abs wire to clip onto, but thats pretty much small s**t that can be fabbed up at a later point nothing a couple of zip ties can't handle for awhile!

Didn't do my home work first b4 buying the tires and rims, I had a buddy with a obs that bought them for his ride but ended up going a different route and didn't want them so I scored pretty good on them $ wise, I really like the rally's on the truck and being 15", right now as it stands 275/60R15 on a 15x8 is what's on the back and a 235/60R15 on a 15x7 is on the front, going with what's on the back now and doing the same for the front will look good and I should have no turning/travel problems or having to trim as you stated, with the IHC kit. OBTW 95burban thats a killer looking burban!! Love the white with the black theme plus debadged, simple and clean!!!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as install only thing that I can find bad about it is no provision for the brake line bracket or the abs wire to clip onto,
It’s hard to see in this picture but the ABS wire tab bolts to one of the ball joint bolts and I just hose clamped the brake hose bracket on. (This is the DJM stuff btw)
You must be registered for see images attach

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this ain't the place to post this but... I can turn a wrench and fix s**t but for the life of me I can't figure out how the hell to PM somebody here, thats pretty sad huh!!?!! Need some help with that please... Orpedcrow thats what I was thinking, stainless hose clamp maybe a piece of heater hose to isolate it and tighten the hose clamp looks like its working!! Whats your thoughts on the IHC kit?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you squint you can see through the mud :rotflmao:
You must be registered for see images attach