88 GMC Trail/DD Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree with you. Thats why I picked up a second frame just so I can cut/grind/weld the hell out of it to make it work for what I want and take my time setting up the 4-Link. I guess we'll just see how it all plays out when I finally get the frame on the chopping block.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tire fitment is entirely based on how far you push the axle forward. I had 38's stuffing on leafs at about 8" of lift and almost no rubbing locked R or L.

With it linked and pushed forward further I'm stuffing 42's at the same ride height without anymore cutting but for the the plastic trim up front.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, made a little progress on the truck. Nothing too crazy unfortunately. Tried to get it inspected and on the road for the first time since 08' for Syracuse Nationals weekend but work didn't allow that to happen. Got the interior put back together and got the overhead console wired up. Tuned up the motor and took it on a few short test drives. Damn I miss this motor. Smoked my tires a bit. Put my front bumper back on only to find I need to trim. My ol' man had diced the bumper originally to wrap around a Western Plow frame and it has grown on me and become a part of the truck. So instead of cutting it more, I cut and modified some extra bumper mounts I had to move the bumper up 1 3/4". Should give me plenty of room for the 33s for the time being. Found my rear crossmember to be completely rotted so I have to replace that before I can get her inspected so as of now the To Do list is:
-Weld up a new crossmember
-Finish plating the bumper
-Finish cutting off the plow frame
-Make new center bumper mounts
-Paint and more Bedliner
And finally...
-Get it inspected so I can start driving it and roll the second frame in the garage and start cuttin!

Pics
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, little update. This is painfully slow. Friday the 13th, I was on my way to pick up the paint for the truck when I lost 2nd and 3rd gear in my 99' Sub. Fantastic! Needless to say I did not get the paint and was left without a vehicle. So, threw the 88' together really quick, got her inspected and now she resumes DD status. Thats about all the progress I've got for now. More bad luck with some small highlights thrown in.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sucks man, good to see you've had a little time to work on her. I'm curious which rear crossmember are you talking about that's rotted out? When we pulled the bed off of my '91 the rear crossmember that supports the front of the gas tank on my truck was rotted pretty good on the driver's side. Since I can't weld and don't really know anyone that can ,we rigged it up using some creativity. I still have the bed off mine. Gonna slap another coat of chassis saver on the frame, replace the axle seals and find someone to weld in my cab corners then I should be able to get my beast back on the road for winter.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bizz, The rear crossmember I'm referring to is the one that holds your spare tire. We cut it out, welded up a removable one out of some 2"x4"x 3/16" wall box and bolted it between the frame rails with some good ol' grade 8s. We will have to meet up soon. I was actually up in your neck of the woods last night with the truck at the Drive-In in Minetto.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh yeah not far from me at all. We def gotta meet up sometime. My rear tire cross member was pretty rotted but I was able to save it after doing some cutting with the grinder. I need to finish fixing all the little problems with my truck so I can drive it again. i miss driving it which is sad considering my DD is a 2006 impala.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well feels like I haven't logged on here in forever and a day. The Paramedic program is consuming my life. I did manage to do some work on the truck. Got her all sanded down and shot a few coats of primer on it and shot some Raptor Liner on the rockers.

Thats about all I have to report unfortunately. Hope you guys enjoy my done in a day, driveway paint job.

sportsman90

Reaction score
Just copying my build over to get input from others and toss around some ideas and just maybe have some more motivation to get it done.

So I have been building my DD up for about 3 years now and figured I'd start a build thread to have something to look back at.The truck is a 1988 GMC K2500, mildly built crate 350(Stock bottom end, stock heads for now, cam, intake, headers, etc)700r,14sf, etc for now. Already undergone a few rebuilds. I picked up a new frame, D60 w/kingpins out of an 89' Dodge 3500, a 14FF out of a 97' Burb and a divorced NP205 out of an unknown Dodge. Between being a full-time student, work and living in NY progress will be slow so bear with me. Hope you guys enjoy.

The real basic plan:
- 4 link with Ballistic Hybrid Coilovers
- Ballistic Joints at the frame, poly bushings at the axle
- High steer (Hydro-assist later on)
- 5.13 gears and lockers f/r
- Shackle flip rear and new shackles
- Leaning towards the upcoming 37" or 42" Pitbull Rocker radials when they come out.

Pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

This may be a dumb question, but why are the heater vents blocked off? Did some 88-89's come with only floor heat and defrost? I live in Minnesota and every 88-94 I have ever seen or owned here has had all the vents