88 GMC Trail/DD Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To my knowledge, plain Jane models didn't come with them. Only defroster and floor vents. Models with AC and all that jazz have vents in the dash. Where the CD deck is used to just be a pocket and there was never any ducts behind the bezel or the dash. She is one of the only C/Ks I have seen in person that is this bare bones. The interior consisted of manual locks, windows, simple heat and vent, bench seat, no tilt column etc.

sportsman90

Reaction score
Yeah this one is very stripped down lol. I have seen w/t's with no a/c but still have the vents. Thats why I was thinking maybe they just did it in the really early models like 88-89.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update...

I was having a slight issue with oil blowing out of my oil filler cap. My valve covers are on the thicker side and I had a press in style cap which caused a less than acceptable seal. I was losing close to a quart every time I got on the highway for an extended period of time. So, an order was placed to Ballistic Fab. I picked up an inspection cover for a rear dif to assume the role of a filler cap. I have to thank Ballistic for awesome customer service. Even ordering from the opposite end of the country on a holiday weekend, I got an email stating the part had been shipped the day I placed the order and it was here in a few days. The hole in my valve covers was 1.25" and the bung for the new cap is 1.75" so I chocked the cover up in a mill and bored the hole out just enough for a tight press fit. Then I pressed the bung in with a bit of silicone around the top of the bung and presto, no more issues losing oil. An added plus is that now the neck on a quart of synthetic oil fits into the filler hole. No more new oil all over my valve covers and headers due to my shaking hands.

Pics post mod...
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Feels like forever since an update. The million feet of snow has finally melted and I'm finally finishing up my Paramedic cert so hopefully I'll get more done. Anywas, had a day off and it was nice out so I decided to go drive some seasonal roads with my girlfriend and ended up getting stuck. Getting me out turned into a cluster. A lifted Ford pulled me out, I pulled him out after he got stuck and another GMT400 was called to get us both out. I did a little work on the rig too. Changed the PS pump, alt, idler pulley, installed an Alpine head, Alpine front speakers and Kicker rears. While I was at it, I bent and welded up a brace for the front bumper and pieced together some homebrew lights. $5 6" housings from the junkyard + $10 worth of paint and hardware from TSC + $10 of 130w bulbs from KC + $5 KC relay + $5 worth of wiring = $35 dollars for what KC woulda charged $200 bucks for.

Pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good, when are you gonna get to SAS'ing it so I can take your axles from you. :) Although now that I think about it I don't think your front axle would work because that's a 3/4 ton correct?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bizz, SAS will come eventually. I know I've been saying it for a while but it needs to happen soon before I lose my mind lol. I dont know if there really is anything different between your 1500 front diff and my 2500 diff. They are both 6 lug though.

Small update, finished up some wiring and got it all cleaned up. Installed the Bluetooth mic in the overhead console. Wired up a pretty cool touch pad style switch for my lights. Seems to work really well and looks like nothing is there when the key isnt in the ignition. It has a small red LED when the lights are off and a small blue LED when they are on. I also wired up a 3 12v cig lighter box. Thats pretty much it.
Pics

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
How did you redo your roof in the first pics? Is that a new sheet of metal or did you sand it down to metal? If you sanded, what grit were you using?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JJZ71, I took the entire roof down to bare metal, cut out the cancer, made and welded in some patches, ground flat, applied a thin layer of duraglass, block sanded smooth, and finally shot it with a couple coats of primer. Cant remember what grits I used on the DA or air board.