8 lug swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bartlett

Reaction score
What exactly is needed to swap from 6 lug to 8 lug?
Did a search and not really getting a clear answer

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its not possible without a straight axle swap. The ball joints and steering knuckles can be swapped to 3/4 ton stuff, but the geometry is all wrong and it is impossible to align. 6 lug and 8 lug frames are different up front.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You sell one truck, and buy the 8 lug truck of your choice... Seems simple enough to me?

As mentioned... there are many differences, from the control arm mounting points, to the physically larger differential in the 3/4 / 1ton chassis. Not to mention the 1 ton got a heavier BW transfer case instead of the NV transfer case used in the half ton.

bartlett

Reaction score
So if you swap to a 14 bolt rear, there is no way to swap
The front to 8 lug?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The control arms mount in a different spot, the geometry of the steering axis inclination and pretty much everything else is different. You could: cut two frames and 'marry' the 8 lug front frame section to a half ton rear... but if you are going to all that trouble, it would be better off to just transplant the body from the 6 lug on a good 8 lug chassis.

Either way, it's a ton of work. Also, if you happen to be towing something large, and get stopped by a LEO and he wants to check the registered GVW of your half / 3/4 ton hybrid... you may be in trouble!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
quick idea, dont hold me to it. for a dodge CAD axle you can bolt our 6 lug hub assemblys to it, now that of course is on a 44 front now the 60s are 8 lug but do they share the same mounting pattern? i thought dodge and gm 8 lug were the same during those years.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
quick idea, dont hold me to it. for a dodge CAD axle you can bolt our 6 lug hub assemblys to it, now that of course is on a 44 front now the 60s are 8 lug but do they share the same mounting pattern? i thought dodge and gm 8 lug were the same during those years.

Dodge and chevy 8 lug patterns were the same until 2011

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Some other guy was trying to do this but he never could get any brake rotors that would work. It makes the offset wrong and the hub assemblies are not exactly the same. When you mate them together, neither side is threaded.