2wd obs 5 lug to 8 lug swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nauju

Reaction score
I’ve been doing some research and from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem that bad to do a 5 to 8 lug swap just use the 8 lug front upper control arms, knuckles, and brakes. The rear is just swapping the rear axle and using a conversion u-joint is this correct?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The control arms might be a different width....
The rear axle is probably more simple than the front suspension. You'll probably have to upgrade the front brakes; the 8 lug stuff is bigger, as are the rear drums. Master cylinder is different too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Control arms should be same width. On a 2WD the lowers are the same stamped part from 1500-2500-3500 so I wouldn't expect the forged uppers from a 2500-3500 to be wider than the 1500's stamped piece.

So yep, it's pretty much just swap everything over, providing you have a donor truck with all the parts. And yes, conversion u-joint..

My question is though, what's your goal? It won't be up to the job of a 2500/3500; your frame and transmission will still be the weakest links.

Richard

nauju

Reaction score
Control arms should be same width. On a 2WD the lowers are the same stamped part from 1500-2500-3500 so I wouldn't expect the forged uppers from a 2500-3500 to be wider than the 1500's stamped piece.

So yep, it's pretty much just swap everything over, providing you have a donor truck with all the parts. And yes, conversion u-joint..

My question is though, what's your goal? It won't be up to the job of a 2500/3500; your frame and transmission will still be the weakest links.

Richard
Just to do something different, everyone does 5 to 6 lug swaps or 8 to 5 lug but I don’t see too many 5 to 8 lug swaps being done

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score

Richard
Okay, good to know! I guess they look bigger because of the difference in height and material?
I get why people like the 8 lug look, and there's lots more wheel choices now(if you have the $$$$).
But why not just get a 2500/3500 to begin with; then you have a much more capable truck that can still be lowered, and still be usable for work/towing.

nauju

Reaction score
Okay, good to know! I guess they look bigger because of the difference in height and material?
I get why people like the 8 lug look, and there's lots more wheel choices now(if you have the $$$$).
But why not just get a 2500/3500 to begin with; then you have a much more capable truck that can still be lowered, and still be usable for work/towing.
I already have a 3/4 ton 8 lug Squarebody and it’s mostly just to be different, my obs is a regular cab step side and I think it would look cool with 8 lugs

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I already have a 3/4 ton 8 lug Squarebody and it’s mostly just to be different, my obs is a regular cab step side and I think it would look cool with 8 lugs
Yup it would! 8 lug trucks are badass (and I'm not just saying that cause I have Rawhide the crew cab!). @someotherguy would know the ins and outs of it; he's taken more of these trucks apart than I've ever seen.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Understandable, just for custom purposes. I helped a friend with his project of turning a regular cab stepside into a slammed shortbed dually. He also swapped it from a V6 to a 502..

Richard