8.1 Converstion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howell makes a stand alone harness for the 8.1 but it is some $$$. With some modification any DBW 24x 4.8-6.0L LS Vortec harness will work with an 8.1

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually found that Howell last night after searching and searching and searching. Having a straight shift knocks $100 bucks off the price, but yeah, it’s still $600. The ease of plug and play makes that easier to stomach, but still costly non the less. It made me feel better knowing stand alone options are out there.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you could find a wiring diagram for the 8.1, you could probably get a computer and the connectors from a junkyard then just swap the pins over from your factory harness. Or perhaps just find a junkyard harness and swap the whole thing.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After all the searching and studying I’ve done looking into the swap, it looks like I’ll be going with a 454 at the end of the day. I found a killer deal on a totally rebuilt ‘97 Vortec. I’m hoping to go pick it up this weekend, it’s about two hours away. Guess I’ll start up a new questionnaire on the headaches that may or may not entail. Thanks everyone for the insight you’ve given. Any secrets to dropping in the 454, I’ll gladly listen.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It happened. Today I made the trip and bought a fresh Vortec 454. Thanks everyone for the input for the 8.1 swap, but it’ll be a 7.4 at the end of the day...and I’m stoked.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It happened. Today I made the trip and bought a fresh Vortec 454. Thanks everyone for the input for the 8.1 swap, but it’ll be a 7.4 at the end of the day...and I’m stoked.

Hopefully it works well for ya. While you're at it, get a mail order tune. Best bang for the buck for sure.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wiring wise a 7.4 is very similar to a 5.7.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve been getting my order together for the rest of what I’m needing. It’s amazing how many things have the same part number from the 5.7 to the 7.4. I’ll be able to use a good bit of stuff from the 5.7. I found a really good write up from a guy who did the swap I’m doing, it was really helpful. He explained what can be used and how with what I already have. I’ll have to dig up the link.

Till I find the link, here’s what I picked up...

Got the fuel system and the rest of the serpentine make up too and a handful of little odds and ends.

You must be registered for see images attach

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming you're keeping the fuel injection, don't reuse the stock injectors, they're prone to leaking down. Either pick up a set of 19lb (the stock size) Bosch injectors (iirc they're oe for a Ford 5.0) or upgrade to ls1 (22lb) or ls6 (28lb) injectors. There used to be a chart floating around that had a list of injectors that will fit with original application, PNs & their flow ratings.

Personally I went with 02 ls6 injectors so I'd have room for other upgrades, the stock ones are barely adequate for the factory hp rating. Got them from a wrecked Vette for $85.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk