8.1 Converstion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What a gyp. ;) Was hoping to see this conversion done. I totally understand though as any swap has the potential to become a bigger job than you want, and the ones where donor trucks are scarce are an even bigger risk.

There's a 2001 3500HD project available near me that is an 8.1/NV4500 and has a bad rear end. Not much use for a C&C Dana 80 anyway so that engine/trans/pcm/harness/etc. sure seem like ready candidates to swap into a C1500. :) The only drawback is the NV4500 would be the extended-tailshaft with the parking brake out back, so a little work would be needed to change it to the regular style.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There's a 2001 3500HD project available near me that is an 8.1/NV4500 and has a bad rear end. Not much use for a C&C Dana 80 anyway so that engine/trans/pcm/harness/etc. sure seem like ready candidates to swap into a C1500. :) The only drawback is the NV4500 would be the extended-tailshaft with the parking brake out back, so a little work would be needed to change it to the regular style.

Richard

I wish I could find something like that locally.... I wonder how hard it would be to swap a 14BFF in place of the D80.... of course I'm still hoping to find a 4x4 conversion in good shape, when I can afford it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I could find something like that locally.... I wonder how hard it would be to swap a 14BFF in place of the D80.... of course I'm still hoping to find a 4x4 conversion in good shape, when I can afford it.
I would say not easy at all and not recommended. You'd have to find the 14 bolt from a C&C for it to be the correct narrower width, then it would still be the wrong bolt pattern - 8x6.5 instead of 10x7.25, though you could dig up a set of 4 Frito van 8 lug 19.5's to correct that issue. Then the gear ratio would possibly be an issue as the 14 bolt would probably be a 4.10 as that's most common (in my experience anyway) whereas the Dana 80 is 4.63 or 5.13. Then there's the fact that the Dana 80 has nice big disc brakes instead of drums... then you might find out the U-joint is wrong, axle tube size is likely wrong for the U-bolts and saddles to to fit, etc... then finally that the 14 bolt while strong is not up to the 16K lb GVWR the 3500HD is rated at.

Dana 80's don't really seem to go bad too often, anyway. I'm surprised the truck I found needs one. I'd be comfortable that if I was interested in it as a project, I could pick one up from a parted-out HD and not be too worried about finding a bad one.

Richard

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stripped down the intake today and put it in the parts cleaner and gave it a good cleaning(which looks awesome). It had Delco injectors in there, and looked pretty obvious they were leaking, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Bosch injectors.

I’ve read a few things about swapping the fuel pressure regulator while I’m at it. What should I replace it with? The insight on the injectors was great, as I read that a couple other places as well. The same advice on the regulator would be much appreciated too.

Guess the new name for this thread should read...”7.4 Conversion”.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a delphi FP10021. It's been in there for almost 5 years now without any issues, so I guess it's alright. I haven't heard that the fpr's are notoriously bad like the injectors, my understanding was it was more of a "while you've got it apart" type of replacement since it's much easier that way. I could be wrong on that part though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used whatever one from Standard came up as correct for the application. Be sure you use a piece of new vacuum line that is vapor rated. You don't want it going bad because they sold you wiper squirter line...and have to pull the intake back apart just to reach it.

Richard

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up going with the Bosch injectors. I ordered a new AC Delco fuel pressure regulator too.

Somehow, like a big ole dummy I broke the one of the tabs the injector clip snaps onto that hold the injectors in place. I wasn’t totally upset to order a new fuel rail and actually have a piece of mind with the new part.

So now I have new injectors, regulator and fuel rail, which really makes me happy with the way these fuel rails are tucked between the upper and lower intakes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I personally like a little gas milage although smiles per gallon are great 6.0>8.1 infront of my nv4500 possibly with a stroker kit ... the more I read the more I fall Inlove with the 6.0. :hump: