400 vs newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1995 GMC ECSB K1500 (bought new) and a 2010 Chev 2500HD RCLB 4x4 (bought new). Both are good trucks. The GMC is family. The chev is something I own. IMHO, after the GMT400, engineers started to overthink trucks. I prefer a real bumper as opposed to a decorative tin foil plated piece of plastic. The front end of the truck does not need to be aggressive looking and look like a 1970s MACK truck. I can lock and unlock the doors myself, I don't need a computer to do it. I don't need a computer to tell me that, since it is 34F, it may be icy and I should drive with caution. I don't need a tire pressure monitoring system that, in 12 years, has never alerted me to a real low tire pressure problem, yet 3 of the sensors have failed. If i unlock the door in the 2500HD WITH the key, the alarm goes off until I put the key in the ignition. GM tells me it is designed that way. Why on earth would someone design that? After 12 years, I still don't find the radio intuitive to use. (I'm 54 years old, so maybe i am obsolete now). Hell, when I get in my 95, I am STILL amazed that i can just turn the key to start it WITHOUT having to pump the gas to set the choke. At ANY temperature! Regardless of when I last started it.......or factoring in the wind speed and direction. Black Magic I tells ya!
The GMT400 has the right amount of technology. They should have stopped there.
(I learned to drive in my Dad's 1964 Pontiac and the 1950 GMC one ton truck on the farm, just for reference)

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...But it needs to be a option loaded and good condition truck.....
Mine has the only option I want: It's a stick.

Now, about having a GMT800... I had an 05 Silverado, not so long ago. Loved that truck, drove the HELL outta that truck. Fixed it just the same. Then one day Bambi jumps out, out of absolutely nowhere, and my insurance totals it. Bought it back, fixed it up, even replaced the rusted a55 frame in the rear.

Then the 4L60E takes a dump. Ok let's put a new transmission in...oops, someone hacked my bank account, so now I'm broke and mortgage is due. Well, idiot me makes a panic decision and parted out the truck. Paid the mortgage but I'm telling all of you... part of me died that day when I sold what was left for scrap. It makes me sick to this day just thinking about it.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve had my 07 Sierra since new, it’s got 153k on it and runs great. I use it as my daily since my 94 has over 200k on it and I want it to last a while longer. There’s no way I’m spending 60k on a new truck.

Attachments

• F1BE31DD-247C-4D58-A740-2B1A41B29069.jpeg
    F1BE31DD-247C-4D58-A740-2B1A41B29069.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 12

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think a lotta the stuff on modern cars is there because millennials wouldn't buy them if they didn't have more features than their phone....
On the other hand, I have been in late model cars with some of the safety gadgets and they are quite helpful. During the Burb's adventures with passlock a few years ago, we had to rent cars a few times to get people to work ( mass transit is non-existent in Houston suburbs and this was before Uber was much of a thing here). Rented Nissan Rogues, they had blind spot monitor system. Very necessary on those cars because of where and how the B and C pillars are made.
I've had similar experiences to you on the tpms systems. On my mom's Chrysler, it alerted us to a flat tire that came up suddenly, before the car started handling weird. Nothing but trouble with them on our '06 GMC Yukon XL Denali though! I think that's part of why I see a lot of the 800/900 series trucks with later model or aftermarket wheels on them.
I like my Burb because I can work on it, and my finances aren't going to work well with a car payment. We bought it in 2013 for $3K, couldn't find a clapped out one for that now. Any nice OBS in Houston area is pricey....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’ve had my 07 Sierra since new, it’s got 153k on it and runs great. I use it as my daily since my 94 has over 200k on it and I want it to last a while longer. There’s no way I’m spending 60k on a new truck.
I think the 900 series (07-13) are the last decent trucks. My cousin has a 2015 Chevy crew cab short bed, that he really likes, which is good cause he's had some problems with it! Truck is plenty powerful, has a 5.3 and I guess it's the 6 speed. Four of us can be comfortable in it, but the back seat isn't as roomy as the Burb second row or as easy to get in and out of. And with the toolbox, that 5' bed is really undersized, for actually hauling much of anything big.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the 900 series (07-13) are the last decent trucks. My cousin has a 2015 Chevy crew cab short bed, that he really likes, which is good cause he's had some problems with it! Truck is plenty powerful, has a 5.3 and I guess it's the 6 speed. Four of us can be comfortable in it, but the back seat isn't as roomy as the Burb second row or as easy to get in and out of. And with the toolbox, that 5' bed is really undersized, for actually hauling much of anything big.
I had an 06 Sierra CCSB set up just like my 07( shouldve kept it) and it was a great truck as well, I traded it in with only 15k on it for my 07.

Greg Pace

Reaction score
I have 3 1996 trucks, I like the body style better than the new chunky ones. I have 1 2 wd and 2 fwd. This is the only truck I want. Parts are much cheaper than newer trucks. 1996 has the 5.7 Vortec (heart shaped head chambers and roller cam). The dashs on 96 doesn't crack (no passenger air bag). I have 2 extra engines an a few 4L60E spare trannys. I can rebuild a 4L60E for around $500 and an engine for $1,000. The only bad thing about these engines is that the heads may crack if overheated (take care of that radiator and all hoses). Anything 2010 and later has a can computer system. This system has computers reporting to a main computer, it takes an expert to fix them if they won't communicate with each other, many dealers can't find the problem. Watch Pine Hollow Diagnostics on YouTube and you will see. In a few years there will no longer be gasoline if idiots keep voting for democrats (they do not give a RA about you, only their cultural progressive agenda IMO), and a new $70,000 truck will be worthless (I consider that a bad investment). I bought my rust free trucks for around $4,000 and can totally rebuild them for $5,000 or less I remove the engine and totally rebuild the front end while engine is removed, it's so much easier.. (I got my new oem leather seats from the seat company). So, would you rather spend $70,000 for something that will cost a fortune to fix (did I mention the oil problems on the new ones?) Or $9,000 and have something better thats easy and cheap to fix?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My user name is in honor of the original Eveready. My dad was a power company district supervisor and on trouble calls he used a 5 cell flashlight with "Eveready" batteries. When his car got old enough to have a name it became "Eveready" It was a 1939 Cheverolet that he had bought new right before WWII and had driven to work every day since. Long after the war he still drove it. It had no starter, no battery to speak of, and he rolled it downhill to start at home and at his job. It had one mission in life, to get him back and forth to work. We had other cars but Eveready was the most dependable and it never failed to get my dad to work and back. It was beaten up and looked nothing like the fine example in this picture except for color and general shape. I wish I had more pix of it and in fact I wish I had the car. It was a monument to the attitude of the depression era generation when people knew how to make do and keep an old car running forever.

My truck is a 93 and is as old as "Eveready" was then. It hauls stuff and the AC works. It is one of the last ones built by the guys from my dad's generation and I like to think it has a lot of their can do attitude and spirit built in. I don't need a truck that looks like a rolling house of pleasure. I just need a truck. This one.

Attachments

• 1939-chevrolet.jpg
    1939-chevrolet.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 20