Vortec V6 vs V8 A/C System Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a single cab, what, if any, are the differences in the 4.3L v6 and 5.7 v8 A/C systems?

When I bought my truck the A/C was not working and I was told by the seller that the compressor had a crack in it. A couple years ago my parents surprised me and had the compressor replaced as a birthday present, but I don't think the shop did any testing and just replaced the compressor and put freon on based on my parents' suggestion. It worked for about a week but since I have been planning on swapping the motor I didn't see a point in chasing down that problem.

Well now I'm getting the motor ready to swap in and need to figure out how to handle the A/C situation. It's a Gen 1 SBC and I'm going to be putting on an aftermarket port EFI and ECU so my plan is to get the accessory brackets from a 96+ Vortec. I should be able to keep the compressor, but I'm wondering if the lines are different from v6 to v8. From what I've read it could just be a leak somewhere in the system and I could go ahead and get the A/C working before I swap it and just leave it hooked up during the swap, but if the lines are different I'll have to wait. The other possibility I read is the entire system is contaminated with metal particles and needs to be completely replaced and if that's the case I'll need to replace the lines anyway.

I'm going to go to a different shop and see what their opinion is on if there's a leak somewhere but does anyone have any suggestions on the least complicated way to get the A/C going and swap the motor?

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
In a single cab, what, if any, are the differences in the 4.3L v6 and 5.7 v8 A/C systems?

When I bought my truck the A/C was not working and I was told by the seller that the compressor had a crack in it. A couple years ago my parents surprised me and had the compressor replaced as a birthday present, but I don't think the shop did any testing and just replaced the compressor and put freon on based on my parents' suggestion. It worked for about a week but since I have been planning on swapping the motor I didn't see a point in chasing down that problem.

Well now I'm getting the motor ready to swap in and need to figure out how to handle the A/C situation. It's a Gen 1 SBC and I'm going to be putting on an aftermarket port EFI and ECU so my plan is to get the accessory brackets from a 96+ Vortec. I should be able to keep the compressor, but I'm wondering if the lines are different from v6 to v8. From what I've read it could just be a leak somewhere in the system and I could go ahead and get the A/C working before I swap it and just leave it hooked up during the swap, but if the lines are different I'll have to wait. The other possibility I read is the entire system is contaminated with metal particles and needs to be completely replaced and if that's the case I'll need to replace the lines anyway.

I'm going to go to a different shop and see what their opinion is on if there's a leak somewhere but does anyone have any suggestions on the least complicated way to get the A/C going and swap the motor?
Welp, if ya want fast answers just use Google n see the differences, but I do believe there is some differences, some one more acknowledgable will chime in soon

Good luck

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What vehicle? The one in your signature?

"I" would see if there's any remaining refrigerant in the system. If so, a thorough leak-test is in order. If not, vacuum the system and see if it holds that vacuum. Either way, look for traces of refrigerant oil on all the various connections, and at the bottom of the condenser, bottom of the compressor, etc. Remove the blower fan, see if the evaporator is leaking (oil traces) or plugged with pine needles, leaves, sparrows, etc.

I think you can EXPECT to open the system, replace the accumulator/desiccant pouch, replace the orifice tube, and replace EVERY O-ring in the entire system. IF the orifice tube has significant debris caught in the screen...you'll be flushing every part you re-use, and probably replacing the compressor again.

You will be lucky if you don't have to replace the condenser and/or the evaporator. Either one could be leaking; either one could be plugged with debris or folded-over/corroded air fins.

A/C work is getting to the point of just replacing EVERYTHING at one shot. Saving supposedly "good" parts doesn't make economic sense when even the discount stores get fifteen bucks for a pounder-can of R134A, and R12 is insanely priced if you can even find some old stock. If you're wrong about the evaporator or condenser or hoses not leaking...you're back to opening the system, replacing the desiccant pouch (accumulator/receiver-dryer) and replacing whatever part you thought was good but wasn't; along with another fifteen bucks a can for refrigerant.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to replacing everything. In fact I'm kind of expecting it. It's just that it will likely be this fall before I can get the motor swapped in and I'd like to drive it in the meantime while it's balls hot in Texas in the summer. But I DON'T want to replace everything and then find out something is different on the V8 that I wasn't expecting and have to evacuate and change parts and refill, etc, etc. The only thing I can think of is maybe the line lengths are different but I could maybe put the V8 lines on while it's still bolted to the V6?

Also, does anyone have a good quality kit that has all the parts? I see Four Seasons and GPD on Rock Auto, but the price is about the same as just the ACDelco compressor which is a huge red flag to me.