4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy Bernard and I went to the U Pull And Pay Saturday around noon, after the toy show was over. They just got in a C10 with a 4.3, that he wants the same pieces you need for his square body (inline six to 350 swap). The motor is still in it and the front clip is still on it, so no dice.... And the 400 I wanted parts from, that was already gone, and the other 400s were picked clean too. I need to go to the LKQ near me, but have other stuff to spend money on... like rent, food, gas, propane for the trailer.....

I imagine that's because of the substantial lack of rust in junkyards where you're at. Texas, right?

Around here (Rust Belt NEPA), most of the reason that any given vehicle is in the junkyard is because of rust.

Believe me, We (the Wife and I) contemplate getting the HELL out of demmy PA every day. But until that winning lottery ticket comes our way......

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ummmm...I don't think that illustration is correct.

The title at the top says "Small Block", but that doesn't look anything like my '88 5.7L engine mounts.

On my '88, the clamshell/rubber mount bolts to the FRAME not the engine. There's a formed-steel bracket that bolts to the engine which covers the clamshell, but there's a steel plate between the bracket and engine block that the struts bolt to.

I don't have a photo from my engine installation. I have a photo from Father-In-Law's '78 Trans Am that happens to be similar in concept although the actual parts are different--clamshell/rubber bolts to frame, stamped-steel bracket bolts to engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now that's interesting. First off, how is there incorrect info in a service manual? Especially one that old?

Secondly, thanks for the pic. Interestingly enough, said pic did NOT show up in your reply. It didn't display until I QUOTED your post, Schurkey, and then went to make my own reply with your quoted post. Hmmmmm.

EDIT: Whoa, I couldn't see the bottom half of your post, either. A 78 T/A? Details, please?

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind. I hit "Refresh" about 17 times and your entire post, with pic, has displayed.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I imagine that's because of the substantial lack of rust in junkyards where you're at. Texas, right?

Around here (Rust Belt NEPA), most of the reason that any given vehicle is in the junkyard is because of rust.

Believe me, We (the Wife and I) contemplate getting the HELL out of demmy PA every day. But until that winning lottery ticket comes our way......
Yup, Houston, Texas, not much rust around here till stuff sits around and moisture/humidity collects in it. That same humidity that makes it so wonderful to work in....what several of my friends call"wet towel in the face" weather. Even with a bandana rolled up on my forehead, it's like I'm standing under warm water or just went in a sauna....

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, Houston, Texas, not much rust around here till stuff sits around and moisture/humidity collects in it. That same humidity that makes it so wonderful to work in....what several of my friends call"wet towel in the face" weather. Even with a bandana rolled up on my forehead, it's like I'm standing under warm water or just went in a sauna....

Is that anywhere near San Antonio? My Wife was there for work years ago and said it was hot, but it was a dry heat.

I, OTOH, have been to places around the world where it's 105° in the shade and there's nothing but sand for miles. Kuwait comes to mind.... but I digress.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is that anywhere near San Antonio? My Wife was there for work years ago and said it was hot, but it was a dry heat.

I, OTOH, have been to places around the world where it's 105° in the shade and there's nothing but sand for miles. Kuwait comes to mind.... but I digress.
San Antonio is about 4 hours/200 miles west of Houston. It still gets plenty hot, but it might be a little less humid because you're that much further inland. It just sucks here in the summer. That's why AC was invented, to deal with Gulf Coast summers.
I've known people that went to the Sandbox, and they said it's bad, but it's a dry heat. Still, with a full packout of gear and body armor, I'm sure it still is quite uncomfortable.....

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Schurkey, I found this, too. I think you are correct about this Service Manual not being accurate.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that's interesting. First off, how is there incorrect info in a service manual? Especially one that old?
There's so many screwups in the paper-copy service manual set I have for my '88, that they had to release a Service Manual Supplement book to correct 'em, and I don't think they got 'em all. My '88 service manual has an '86 copyright date.

But, yes, I'm surprised that they carried-over that screwup to the '89 manual.

Secondly, thanks for the pic... ...A 78 T/A? Details, please?
Father-In-Law got a wild hair up his butt about working on cars. His wife had a '66 Impala SS convertible, about the only material possession she retained in the divorce from her first husband. Father-In-Law made her sell it. You've heard the phrase "Happy Wife, Happy Life"? About twenty years later, he bought it back, paid thousands of dollars to get bodywork done...NOW she's happy. That car hasn't been started or out of the garage for three years...but it's HERS.

In the meantime, he bought a '72 Buick Skylark Convertible which didn't interest her at all--it wasn't HER convertible. I ended-up doing engine work and a front-disc conversion on it. Then he bought the '78 (or was it a '77?) T/A. The P400 substitute engine was a mess. He, his nephew, and I built a P455 for it. The new engine immediately wiped-out the transmission. He got that rebuilt locally without my input. He bought tools, learned new skills...paid big money for what appeared to be quality bodywork/paint...really fixed that car up nicely.

The problem for me is that he wanted me to work on it at his place, and I disliked not having "my" tools and equipment to do it with. We never did get the Q-jet on the TA sorted out. Lots of pinging, I think the carb was overly-lean.

Eventually, he got tired of working on cars, sold both the Skylark and the T/A via some "Classic Car Sales" outfit, to folks five states away. At least he got his money back out of those two cars, minus all the labor.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind. I hit "Refresh" about 17 times and your entire post, with pic, has displayed.
Some of that is probably the fact that I end-up editing my posts about fifteen times, and you quoted one of the earlier versions.

@Schurkey, I found this, too. I think you are correct about this Service Manual not being accurate.

THAT ONE! The first steel plate against the block is what the strut bolts to. One on each side.

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I appreciate that thought.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm TOTALLY PISSED @ myself for not taking the 2 seconds to check if I needed those frame mounts. But, of course, impatient, must-go-fast, throw all clutter out, me.... I screwed myself over and now I'm paying for it.

I remember tearing an SBC out of an ECSB during my piston debacle. I wonder if the chassis is still there.

The other thing that sucks, is, in order to get those frame mounts out... lol... I have to drop the front diff a few inches. Wasn't so big of a deal in my front yard with no engine between the fenders. Totally different story in the junkyard.

UUGGHHHHHH...............
this is why i don't throw anything out until 2 or 3 weeks AFTER the vehicle is running/driving. i save everything old gaskets, old hoses, parts boxes/bags, even rusty stuff that i have to cut out, etc. takes up some room for awhile but it has saved me LOTS over the years...

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Schurkey, If you'll notice, the footnote on the attachment I posted specifically point out the difference between a strut rod bracket (for automatic) and a spacer (for a manual), like you said.

This again causes confusion because I have strut rod brackets and a manual trans. I'm inclined to further agree that this is a Service Manual issue and not some random, pieced together truck which just happens to have parts from everything.