4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do just that, if and when the aluminum heads ever get here.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another update. I'm making some good progress, but I still have more questions than answers.

First things first, the bell crank pin came in, and it pressed into its bore in the bell housing beautifully. I made sure to clean out the bore with WD40 and a nylon brush on a drill. Then, pressed the pin in with a 15mm socket and a short extension. I have to admit I was worried about this but it turned out perfect.

You must be registered for see images attach

Next, I put the oil cooler lines on. I did this because I remember the difficulty I had in REMOVING those lines from the junkyard vehicle. So, I'm installing these now, with the engine out, as to avoid that same difficulty later. With that, I cleaned them all up, replaced the junk GM quick disconnect fittings, and hoped and prayed that I've installed everything correctly.

Lastly, I want to get the engine mount brackets installed. Uhm, well, they attach with 3 bolts on either side. I have a bag labeled "engine mount bolts", with a total of 12 bolts (1 of which is OF COURSE missing a washer). I threaded one into the block and it seems they are 3/8" TOO LONG. I even mocked up the engine mount and put all three bolts in, with washers, and the mount still wiggled around. The bolts are simply too long. HOW? I don't have a problem getting all new hardware. That's not the point. I shouldn't have to. Not sure how I messed that up.

Anyway, I believe I am getting very close to the point of pushing the rolling chassis in the garage and starting to install the engine. I'm missing an important piece, however. I have the clam shells, I have the rubber mounts, and I have a plethora of spacers and miscellaneous parts that COULD be part of the V8 engine mount setup. The part I'm missing is the KNOWLEDGE of what goes where.

Anyone have any reference pics?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Download the service manual. Illustrations are in there.

Does your truck use the strut-rods that the 4WD/automatic trans trucks used, from engine mount to trans converter pan/bellhousing? I think they're on a separate bracket bolted to the block using the same bolts as the engine mounting brackets. That'd take up any extra space from those "too long" engine mount bolts.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Download the service manual. Illustrations are in there.

Does your truck use the strut-rods that the 4WD/automatic trans trucks used, from engine mount to trans converter pan/bellhousing? I think they're on a separate bracket bolted to the block using the same bolts as the engine mounting brackets. That'd take up any extra space from those "too long" engine mount bolts.

I have it downloaded already. Don't have the patience to scroll through all that. Guess I'm going to have to find some.

YES, my truck uses said strut-rods and I have plenty of them. Why the Hell would I have them, though, if they were for automatic trucks?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Schurkey, I looked in the Service Manual. I'm EFFED once again. This is copied and pasted right from the manual. See the part circled in red?

Well, that was still there from my V6 yet, so I removed both of them and, assuming I wouldn't need them, tossed them out.

Unless those mounts are substantially different for the V8, I'm going to have to source those plates somehow.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
@Schurkey, I looked in the Service Manual. I'm EFFED once again. This is copied and pasted right from the manual. See the part circled in red?

Well, that was still there from my V6 yet, so I removed both of them and, assuming I wouldn't need them, tossed them out.

Unless those mounts are substantially different for the V8, I'm going to have to source those plates somehow.
Treasure Yard.... If it wasn't so bloody hot down here, I'd see if my locals had a 400 stripped down enough to get them out. But they don't even open till 9am and it's too uncomfortable by that point....

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Treasure Yard.... If it wasn't so bloody hot down here, I'd see if my locals had a 400 stripped down enough to get them out. But they don't even open till 9am and it's too uncomfortable by that point....

Well, I appreciate that thought.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm TOTALLY PISSED @ myself for not taking the 2 seconds to check if I needed those frame mounts. But, of course, impatient, must-go-fast, throw all clutter out, me.... I screwed myself over and now I'm paying for it.

I remember tearing an SBC out of an ECSB during my piston debacle. I wonder if the chassis is still there.

The other thing that sucks, is, in order to get those frame mounts out... lol... I have to drop the front diff a few inches. Wasn't so big of a deal in my front yard with no engine between the fenders. Totally different story in the junkyard.

UUGGHHHHHH...............

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well, I appreciate that thought.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm TOTALLY PISSED @ myself for not taking the 2 seconds to check if I needed those frame mounts. But, of course, impatient, must-go-fast, throw all clutter out, me.... I screwed myself over and now I'm paying for it.

I remember tearing an SBC out of an ECSB during my piston debacle. I wonder if the chassis is still there.

The other thing that sucks, is, in order to get those frame mounts out... lol... I have to drop the front diff a few inches. Wasn't so big of a deal in my front yard with no engine between the fenders. Totally different story in the junkyard.

UUGGHHHHHH...............
My buddy Bernard and I went to the U Pull And Pay Saturday around noon, after the toy show was over. They just got in a C10 with a 4.3, that he wants the same pieces you need for his square body (inline six to 350 swap). The motor is still in it and the front clip is still on it, so no dice.... And the 400 I wanted parts from, that was already gone, and the other 400s were picked clean too. I need to go to the LKQ near me, but have other stuff to spend money on... like rent, food, gas, propane for the trailer.....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummmm...That illustration is NOT correct.

The title at the top says "Small Block", but that doesn't look anything like my '88 5.7L engine mounts. Apparently, that's how the V-6 is installed--looks like they've moved the mounts rearward to suit the shorter engine. I think someone put the V-6 illustration in the Small Block section.

On my '88, the clamshell/rubber mount bolts to the FRAME not the engine. There's a formed-steel bracket that bolts to the engine which covers the clamshell, but there's a steel plate between the bracket and engine block that the struts bolt to.

Look in the '97 service manual, page 6A-155 and 156. THAT'S more like how my '88 is built.

I don't have a photo from my engine installation. I have a photo from Father-In-Law's '78 Trans Am that happens to be similar in concept although the actual parts are different--clamshell/rubber bolts to frame, stamped-steel bracket bolts to engine.

Last edited: