3.0L Duramax Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XDmToter

Reaction score
Hello fellow GMT400 enthusiasts.

My Brother-in-law recently picked up a used 2023 Silverado 1500 with the 3.0L Duramax Diesel. He says he can get 30 MPG with that little motor, and it cranks out nearly 500 Ft-lb of torque through a 10 speed transmission.

This got me thinking.... I've seen lots of people doing LS swaps and Big diesel swaps in the OBS trucks, but I'm wondering what it would take to swap in one of these little baby diesel motors and the 10 speed trans.
Would this be much the same as a 5.3L LS or any other swap? I found a listing on evil bay for a complete dressed 3.0L Duramax with transmission and transfer case, ECU, wiring harness and pedal assembly pulled from a rear end collision total loss, so they are out there for the taking.

What are your thoughts? Possibility, or pipe dream?

BTW; I have a 1995 Tahoe LS 4 Door 4x4 with the 350 TBI.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone has to go first!!!! Lol
This would be awesome to pull off. I thought about a 4BT swap, among others.
If you can get as much as possible out of the donor, as it sounds like you can, would make it easier for sure.
I'd make real good friends with a diesel mechanic before getting started!!! Lol

XDmToter

Reaction score
I just learned that this motor has a rear gear train, so all the accessories are smashed against the firewall. Included in that is a Oil Pump Belt that has be be changed every 150K to 200K miles. To change that belt, you have to drop the transmission!!!

GM Engineers giving the .|.. to the shade tree mechanics once again.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As I learn more about this configuration, I'm beginning to think it's not such a good idea after all.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would love to see this done. I am no fan of the electronics, but this engine is impressive, and I have had the thoughts of trying the swap one day. Please do it. It will be worth the headache and hassle of wiring and fitment.
I am a cummins guy, but diesel swaps in general are something I absolutely love.
Get that thing and start stuffing it in there already!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd guess this is one of those situations where you'd really want a whole donor vehicle and literally swap everything engine/transmission related over from one truck to the other. I mean, I doubt there's going to be "stand-alone" harnesses available or even the knowledge posted online. You'll probably be blazing your own trail.

A guy at work has one of the baby diesels. Last I knew he was happy with it. He got it after having a Ford diesel.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d love to have this swap in a gmt400. They run really good.

The EPA has has really been putting their boot on necks of aftermarket companies so you’ll be hard pressed to find any bolt-on delete kits. :321:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am of the "why not, give it a go" old school of thought, but I have read a conversation somewhere on here where it was mentioned that after a certain year everything was wired through the factory harness. So to get it to work you have to have every electronic part from the donor truck transferred to your truck or it won't fire up. Not trying to burst your bubble but maybe research the electronic issues first to see what problems are going to confound you. Love your attitude though, wish more people still thought that way.