355 TBI VS 383 TBI BUILD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim2029

Reaction score
I'm in the early planning stages of building a new motor for my 1995 ecsb. It has a worn out 305tbi.

I'm wanting to keep the stock gauges and cruse control, so I need to use the stock EFI setup.

I'm getting a 350 vortec from a 1997 Tahoe. I know I'll need the vortec/tbi intake manifold. I know the chip in the pcm will need re-flashed.

Has anyone done this build? What has your experience been? Who did you use for the re-flashing? Care to share what cam/intake/head combo you used? Valve sizes?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Haven't done it personally but I've seen both a 355 and 383 TBI engine before IIRC. I know a couple of people on here have done it, just don't know the names of them off the top of my head.

As far as re-flashing, there's a few that can get a tune for you. Sinister Performance (GM Tuners), FASTchip, etc. I've heard very mixed things about TBI Chips (the company) so I'd stay away from them personally.

C/I/H combo depends on your uses. Is this a daily truck? Strip truck? In regards to camshaft, are you keeping the stock stall for your transmission or upgrading? If you want to keep cruise control, I can't imagine you want to get too crazy with the powertrain.

You can also save a few $$$ by getting a basic carb intake manifold for the Vortec style heads (if you use the Vortec heads) and get an adapter to mount the TBI up to the manifold. Last time I checked, the Vortec TBI manifold was almost double the price of a basic carb manifold.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im in the process of doing this, but was running the previous 350 with all the stuff I'll be running on the 383-cam, manifold, headers, etc. First of all, burning chips may seem the less expensive way to go, but because you'll need to burn (or have burned) many chips to get it right (most people burn one 3 or 4 times and get it in the ball park and call it good), you may want to go the way I did and give Dynamic EFI a call and buy their EBL Flash set-up. It allows you to hook your laptop into your computer and do all your programming in real time. Now, the learning curve is fairly steep, and I was pretty intimidated by it at first, but its not as bad as it seems. I was running an LT1 roller cam, and Edelbrock aluminum 4 barrel manifold with an adapter for the TBI, and Mid length SS headers. I also made an electric fan setup, and did the Ultimate TBI mods. After playing with the tuning for a while (to get it to run well, is fairly easy, but you'll play with it for a long time to fine tune it), I was able to pull down ~25mpg on the highway (the EBL allows you to enable lean cruise, btw). If youre going to run the stock air cleaner, be sure and eliminate the hot air flapper. Most of the ones Ive seen are stuck closed, and this is why most people get such good gains from flipping the lid on the air cleaner-even with the hotter air. The stock air cleaner flows more air than your TBI, so dont worry about choking the motor.

My 383 is going to run a much bigger cam (Comp Cams 268), and I got a TBI spacer off of a early 454 TBI. I am going to run a divorced vacuum referenced adjustable fuel pressure regulator that will make tuning waaaay easier, but just about everything else will stay the same.

I just dropped the motor in yesterday, and now I need to start hooking all the wires back up and finishing everything else. Hopefully fire it up soon.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I'm in the early planning stages of building a new motor for my 1995 ecsb. It has a worn out 305tbi.

I'm wanting to keep the stock gauges and cruse control, so I need to use the stock EFI setup.

I'm getting a 350 vortec from a 1997 Tahoe. I know I'll need the vortec/tbi intake manifold. I know the chip in the pcm will need re-flashed.

Has anyone done this build? What has your experience been? Who did you use for the re-flashing? Care to share what cam/intake/head combo you used? Valve sizes?

I have a built 357 (.040 350) with a small torque cam, a mellings MTC-1, it has specs of 204/214 lift 278/288 duration with 112 lobe separation. I have 906 vortec heads with corresponding stupid expensive GMPP intake ($400) All TBI mods, a custom chip from fastchip (he’s semi retired at last knowledge), shorty ceramic coated headers, open element air cleaner, unrestricted exhaust.

It’s a very torquey motor, and pulls like no other, thanks to the NV4500 transmission paired with the ceramic clutch, and it’s all sent to the 9.5” 14 bolt rear end through a Detroit trutrac and 4.10 gears.

Reaction score
Did it. If i had to do it again i would i would swap the whole damn motor, multiport injection, ECM, and all. Or just go with aftermarket efi, the Rochester 220 TBI is for the birds. In my experience you just end up spending to much money to still be stuck with a 25 year old fuel injection system.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did it. If i had to do it again i would i would swap the whole damn motor, multiport injection, ECM, and all. Or just go with aftermarket efi, the Rochester 220 TBI is for the birds.

Exactly what I’m doing. I tried tuning the stock TBI to work, but gave up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
And while we are on the subject of vortec headed TBI setups, i would avoid the Edelbrock airgap intakes. You can run into icing issues.