3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I sprayed over the POR15. The Rustoleum Rust Reformer apparently is basically “their” version of POR15 and doesn’t need a topcoat of paint. It’s also sold in brush on form. I watched a few videos on comparing them and seemed like no difference. Since I already had the POR15, I used it. But, in hindsight, I may have just used the Rustoleum alone, it needs no topcoat. I’m no expert, I have a feeling this is also a “what’s best oil” type conversation. Everyone will have their own opinion. But a good wire wheeling and Metal Prep is a good start.
You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I sprayed over the POR15. The Rustoleum Rust Reformer apparently is basically “their” version of POR15 and doesn’t need a topcoat of paint. It’s also sold in brush on form. I watched a few videos on comparing them and seemed like no difference. Since I already had the POR15, I used it. But, in hindsight, I may have just used the Rustoleum alone, it needs no topcoat. I’m no expert, I have a feeling this is also a “what’s best oil” type conversation. Everyone will have their own opinion. But a good wire wheeling and Metal Prep is a good start.
What finish does it have? If I can get it brush on then I probably will do that. POR15 isn’t cheap these days. And if I can just apply this without doing a top coat that’s a win for me.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the suspension load off the frame. Put the notch against the frame using bump stop hole to center, mark, cut, weld. Repeat for the other side.
Remove suspension load as in removing the leaves? Or just place the truck on stands on the frame? I saw a video from Reklez where they installed it without removing any suspension components.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Additionally: someone recommend me some bump stops. I don’t like the Belltech ones. They look wimpy.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plumb Bob? Not Bobs plumbs…
Plumb Bob the Oil Guy?
What finish does it have?
Kinda a Satin Black finish, the spray is anyway. Either one, make sure you use good rubber gloves taped to long sleeve shirt. It does NOT awash off. Eventually it wears off. It says rubberized, but it dries pretty hard.

“Black, Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Reform and Seal-344763, Quart: Uses a zinc-rich formula to both seal away corrosion and create a preventative barrier against future problems. Flat black paint creates a flexible rubberized coating that resists impacts, abrasions, rust, and chemical damage. Dries in just one hour and can be recoated to provide extra protection.
  • Use to both seal and protect rusted or bare metal undercoatings from corrosion and moisture
  • 2-in-1 formula transforms corroded surfaces while preventing future wear
  • Quick 1 hour dry time
  • Zinc-rich coating resists damage from impact, abrasions, rust, and chemicals
  • Dries to a flexible rubberized flat black finish “

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Caman96 looks like we have a winner. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I like the idea of the rubberized coating, too. This also looks like it’s easier to source than POR15 in my area. I’ve always had good luck with their products, too.

10-4 on the gloves and taped sleeves.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Caman96 looks like we have a winner. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I like the idea of the rubberized coating, too. This also looks like it’s easier to source than POR15 in my area. I’ve always had good luck with their products, too.

10-4 on the gloves and taped sleeves.
Maybe paint on the first coat and spray the second. One quart easily did my Fleetside frame(back of cab to rear bumper). Then buy a couple cans of the spray cans for second coat.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe paint on the first coat and spray the second. One quart easily did my Fleetside frame(back of cab to rear bumper). Then buy a couple cans of the spray cans for second coat.
I will probably paint on the first one and go from there. I just bought a needle scaler to really knock the big stuff off. Parts of the frame still had the original paint on them. It also had some sort of coating on it at one time, but now has turned to dry wax and just dusts off.