$3,000 budget, advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good it’s a pro charger,... they still service those. I don’t have any experience with them, so don’t know how spooling affects instantaneous haul tater,.... I thought about slapping one of those pro chargers on my 383, been looking for a good used Whipple for a long time. Most u find look like a dogs rear, or, missing certain bits and pieces. I think I put a set of Percy header gaskets on my Hedman long tubes, no problems.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And so it begins!

You must be registered for see images attach

now I need to go through the box of parts, figure out what’s missing from the kit and what needs to be replaced, send the procharger head unit into procharger to get checked out and rebuilt, then try to make it all work.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah man, let us know how it goes, with some install pics/ issues you run into. Be interesting to see your before/after dyno numbers to see what a procharger actually delivers,.... their website says 60-65% increase at 8-9 pounds of boost. On my 383, that would be 710 pounds of torque at 3000rpm,....I just had to wipe the slobber off my shirt

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This is a long post but I truly hope someone will take time out of there busy schedule and actually read it and be able to give me some insight on the questions I have. I need some help/advice. I just bought an ATK HP74 315HP L31 5.7L Engine. I'm disabled on limited income and having to get a mechanic to put the new engine in for me in a few months after I get All the stuff I need. I got a K&N air filter already on the truck and I will be adding the VMAX 11011 Plenum spacer. So to my questions I have and reason for this post, I've been reading about the 0411pcm swap upgrade. I asked my mechanic his opinion and he said not to do it unless I was running multi port injection. This confused me and I didn't have time to get him to explain. So the reason I am confused is because I have already upgraded from the stock poppet spyder injection system to the MPFI spyder injection system 6yrs ago. So does that mean I do need to upgrade to the 0411pcm or will the black box PCM be sufficient enough to really tune this new engine. What is the actual benefits of the 0411pcm vs the black box PCM for someone who doesn't have any way of viewing the tables and changing things except via my mechanic who I have to pay to flash/tune the pcm. I also have to use 1-5/8 primary headers after the initial break in. I'm probably going to use the cheapest long tube direct fit for 97 k1500 from summit racing. I already have the true dual from the engine cat bosal with new high flow cats going into 2.5in Magna flo cat back dual performance exhaust system, just need to cut everything out before the cats to connect to the long tube headers. Also what about the expensive Mass Air flow sensor upgrade and the BBK 1710 80mm throttle body and spacer? Are these 2 things really worth the money or can my mechanic tune the engine for maximum potential horsepower with out them. I don't really understand a lot of what I have read but it seems like different people can get 10-15 rwhp out of the stock throttle body by porting/polishing and removing the restrictor plate/purchase a 75mm performance TB blade, Which is same HP gains BBK claims with their 80mm TB for $400. Also, removing the black vortec resonator box from the air intake and capping off the hole with 2in pvc flex cap, does it help or hurt or should I leave it alone. Out of curiosity would the piece that attaches to the throttle body that has the resonator box attached to it be the same size as the one on the 4.3l v6 engine? Just from what I have been reading and seeing online, the throttle body is the same size, so why wouldnt the breather cap thingy-majigger (yes I'm from the mountains of western North Carolina) from the 4.3l work on the 5.7l? I might have to steal it off my friend's girlfriend's blazer and see for myself. Anyway I am asking for anyone who is willing to take their time and actually tell me what I need to do and what I need to get to make the pcm tune the most effective and efficient. I greatly appreciate your time and assistance and look forward to hearing back from someone who can help tell me about the 0411pcm vs the black box PCM being tuned with the upgraded MPFI spyders for the HP74 engine I bought from ATK as well as the throttle body and the Mass Air flow sensor if I should upgrade them, as well as the TB restrictor plate delete IF I use the stock TB,and the vortec resonator box delete.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello,
This is a long post but I truly hope someone will take time out of there busy schedule and actually read it and be able to give me some insight on the questions I have. I need some help/advice. I just bought an ATK HP74 315HP L31 5.7L Engine. I'm disabled on limited income and having to get a mechanic to put the new engine in for me in a few months after I get All the stuff I need. I got a K&N air filter already on the truck and I will be adding the VMAX 11011 Plenum spacer. So to my questions I have and reason for this post, I've been reading about the 0411pcm swap upgrade. I asked my mechanic his opinion and he said not to do it unless I was running multi port injection. This confused me and I didn't have time to get him to explain. So the reason I am confused is because I have already upgraded from the stock poppet spyder injection system to the MPFI spyder injection system 6yrs ago. So does that mean I do need to upgrade to the 0411pcm or will the black box PCM be sufficient enough to really tune this new engine. What is the actual benefits of the 0411pcm vs the black box PCM for someone who doesn't have any way of viewing the tables and changing things except via my mechanic who I have to pay to flash/tune the pcm. I also have to use 1-5/8 primary headers after the initial break in. I'm probably going to use the cheapest long tube direct fit for 97 k1500 from summit racing. I already have the true dual from the engine cat bosal with new high flow cats going into 2.5in Magna flo cat back dual performance exhaust system, just need to cut everything out before the cats to connect to the long tube headers. Also what about the expensive Mass Air flow sensor upgrade and the BBK 1710 80mm throttle body and spacer? Are these 2 things really worth the money or can my mechanic tune the engine for maximum potential horsepower with out them. I don't really understand a lot of what I have read but it seems like different people can get 10-15 rwhp out of the stock throttle body by porting/polishing and removing the restrictor plate/purchase a 75mm performance TB blade, Which is same HP gains BBK claims with their 80mm TB for $400. Also, removing the black vortec resonator box from the air intake and capping off the hole with 2in pvc flex cap, does it help or hurt or should I leave it alone. Out of curiosity would the piece that attaches to the throttle body that has the resonator box attached to it be the same size as the one on the 4.3l v6 engine? Just from what I have been reading and seeing online, the throttle body is the same size, so why wouldnt the breather cap thingy-majigger (yes I'm from the mountains of western North Carolina) from the 4.3l work on the 5.7l? I might have to steal it off my friend's girlfriend's blazer and see for myself. Anyway I am asking for anyone who is willing to take their time and actually tell me what I need to do and what I need to get to make the pcm tune the most effective and efficient. I greatly appreciate your time and assistance and look forward to hearing back from someone who can help tell me about the 0411pcm vs the black box PCM being tuned with the upgraded MPFI spyders for the HP74 engine I bought from ATK as well as the throttle body and the Mass Air flow sensor if I should upgrade them, as well as the TB restrictor plate delete IF I use the stock TB,and the vortec resonator box delete.

I wouldn't bother with most of the things you're considering honestly. That engine should run fine on the stock black box PCM, stock throttle body, and stock MAF. Changing MAFs may actually make tuning more difficult. The 0411 PCM swap is mainly beneficial to those interested in doing their own tuning IMO. The VMAX plenum spacer might gain you some power.

FYI you'll probably get more responses if you copy/paste this post into a new thread.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a long post but...
Also, please ramble less. I like to put my explanation in a paragraph or two, as you did, but my specific questions in single lines at the bottom. By the time I got to the bottom of your paragraph, I had a hard time sorting out just what you're asking. Note that this also works great when emailing your boss, they can easily understand what you want.

In one line per question, what are you asking?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever you do, please don't do this.
Why not? A dual plane intake with a decent carb runs great and builds alot more torque than the factory LS intakes. He could then add a self learning TBI unit. I have done a late model 6.1L Hemi swap into a GM TBI truck using a GM 454 TBI unit for fuel delivery. Ran fantastic after a little tuning. Spark control was via a programmable MSD ignition box. Used the tach output to feed the TBI computer a RPM signal. The TBI computer controlled the 4L80E. The 6.1 would run circles around the stock 454.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not? A dual plane intake with a decent carb runs great and builds alot more torque than the factory LS intakes. He could then add a self learning TBI unit. I have done a late model 6.1L Hemi swap into a GM TBI truck using a GM 454 TBI unit for fuel delivery. Ran fantastic after a little tuning. Spark control was via a programmable MSD ignition box. Used the tach output to feed the TBI computer a RPM signal. The TBI computer controlled the 4L80E. The 6.1 would run circles around the stock 454.

OP was asking about a budget swap. I don't see the logic in telling him to spend $$$ on a new intake, carb, and potentially an aftermarket FI system in the future when all the stock LS stuff will work just fine. Personally I would never revert to a carb on an engine that was originally equipped with fuel injection. To each their own though.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, please ramble less. I like to put my explanation in a paragraph or two, as you did, but my specific questions in single lines at the bottom. By the time I got to the bottom of your paragraph, I had a hard time sorting out just what you're asking. Note that this also works great when emailing your boss, they can easily understand what you want.

In one line per question, what are you asking?
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it and will do better next time.