$3,000 budget, advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just FYI headers aren’t gonna do much on ur engine, nor a full exhaust. But not necessarily a bad idea, it’s still improving air flow which improves power n efficiency.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best cheap mods I made was long tube headers and 0411 ECM swap,...then tuned it with HPTuners. made my old 350 scream,..... before I put an HT383e in it. 0411 swap will run u $300, long tube headers will run $600 for a decent pair.

Swap the old poppet style injectors with Delphi MPFI (better reliability). Don’t know if the 19lb stock injectors can handle the blower mentioned. Blowers usually require you to bolt on a marine intake, so you can increase injector size. Plus, from the pic of blower, it’s not a MPFI manifold, so you can’t increase injector size with that manifold.

For the money, I’d drop a 454 in it, hop it up a bit,.....and let er eat.

Reaction score
Just FYI headers aren’t gonna do much on ur engine, nor a full exhaust. But not necessarily a bad idea, it’s still improving air flow which improves power n efficiency.
Those stock manifolds are trash. even shorty headers with nothing else done are a noticeable difference on the butt dyno.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not with forced induction. doesnt' matter what you have on there it's getting pushed out one way or another....

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah man, suck - bang - blow,..... anything in those arenas can’t hurt. I can say, those Whipples are bad *ss,.... make your truck get sideways with a quickness. Problem is, Whipple stopped building/ servicing them,.....so if you do find a used one (with all the accessories/ which is a must have), I don’t know where you’d have it rebuilt. Used,...you never know what it’s been through.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah man, suck - bang - blow,..... anything in those arenas can’t hurt. I can say, those Whipples are bad *ss,.... make your truck get sideways with a quickness. Problem is, Whipple stopped building/ servicing them,.....so if you do find a used one (with all the accessories/ which is a must have), I don’t know where you’d have it rebuilt. Used,...you never know what it’s been through.

it’s a procharger not a whipple, so the good news is they are still open.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Open to suggestions for best header gaskets"

Copper Permatex. I handbuilt a set of headers for the 500cid Caddy in my Jag. The fitment was a bit rough - they bowed a bit in the center. Don't care because racecar. Tightening out the bow crushed the cardboard/metal gasket. Copper Permatex sealed it just fine.

That said, I just put the stock manifolds on my '89 Stepside (had to use the Lisle manifold stretching tool), and I used the cheapo pressed metal gasket. When I go to headers I'll permatex 'em.