$3,000 budget, advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with most of the things you're considering honestly. That engine should run fine on the stock black box PCM, stock throttle body, and stock MAF. Changing MAFs may actually make tuning more difficult. The 0411 PCM swap is mainly beneficial to those interested in doing their own tuning IMO. The VMAX plenum spacer might gain you some power.

FYI you'll probably get more responses if you copy/paste this post into a new thread.

Thanks for the advice on everything. I do tend to ramble in my messages, I will try to nip it in the bud next time. Also I appreciate your response and honesty. I kinda figured that everything else was not really going to help but I wanted reassurance from someone else who actually knows a bit more about this stuff than I do. Looks like it's now time to see how long it takes my engine to blow and then start installing the new one and take it to get it tuned and broke in properly.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on everything. I do tend to ramble in my messages, I will try to nip it in the bud next time. Also I appreciate your response and honesty. I kinda figured that everything else was not really going to help but I wanted reassurance from someone else who actually knows a bit more about this stuff than I do. Looks like it's now time to see how long it takes my engine to blow and then start installing the new one and take it to get it tuned and broke in properly.

You're welcome, good luck!

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, please ramble less. I like to put my explanation in a paragraph or two, as you did, but my specific questions in single lines at the bottom. By the time I got to the bottom of your paragraph, I had a hard time sorting out just what you're asking. Note that this also works great when emailing your boss, they can easily understand what you want.

In one line per question, what are you asking?

The main things I was asking about is, is the 0411pcm worth upgrading to if I don't have the means to tune it myself or will the original black box be sufficient enough to tune the new ATK HP74 engine I will be getting installed soon?

My next question is, what benefits are there from buying the expensive upgrade Mass Air flow sensor, and will the stock be sufficient with the tune?

Next question is about the throttle body and spacer from bbk, the 1710 80mm. Is this Throttle body worth getting vs a ported and polished throttle body?
Should I stick with the factory throttle body and maybe just get a performance throttle body blade without the restrictor plate, or just cut mine off because No matter what the plenum hole is always going to be bottle necked at 72mm.

Final question is about the resonator box with vortec embossed on it. Should I remove it and put a 2in flexible pvc pipe cap and clamp on the hole where the box was attached? Should I delete the resonator box or leave it alone?

Actually one last thing, what other engine mods or deletes would you recommend I try to get my mechanic to do when he drops my new ATK HP74 315hp engine in and tunes the pcm before getting it broke in properly?
The only thing ATK recommended/ required was to install 1-5/8 headers, I will probably get the direct fit long tube headers that summit carries due to the affordable price.
Thanks for the help and advice.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the MAF, throttle body, or resonator box will be a restriction on a 315hp motor. The factory Vortec motor was in spitting distance of that.

The headers are going to be your biggest improvement. I didn't look around enough and ended up with a 3" collector necking down to a 2.5" exhaust the rest of the way out. I'd rather have built my exhaust with a 2.5" collector and 2.5" exhaust.

Even with that you probably wouldn't need a tune - but it's still recommended. The stock injection system on my '99 Suburban drove pretty decently with a motor that was probably a little over 400 hp, but I didn't keep the motor in there long, so YMMV.

If you want more power, then consider a cam upgrade before the engine goes in. Swapping in some 1.6 rocker arms is also a consideration, but they really only get you 5-10 hp.