2002 Silverado Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
and probably more than half of them out there have an eternal CEL due to EVAP issues that are often more difficult to solve than they should be.

My dad's '06 3500 has this issue. We've replaced his gas cap and had the entire system smoke tested twice with no leaks found.

I disabled the CEL for the EVAP small leak code with JET DST, problem solved. :lol:

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My parents have an ‘02 ECSB 4.8/4L60e. The 4.8 was a real great motor, IMO. The original 4L60e died at 307K. Never had been opened up, broke the sun shell.

My friends had 5.3 trucks and they all ran great. ‘02 is a good year for those trucks.

The GMT800 is a nice platform with a lot of aftermarket support.
307K miles is a lot. Thank you for sharing the information with me.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT800's are the cockroaches of the truck world; they'll probably be here long after we're all gone - thanks mostly to the durability of the early LS engines.

I've got my GMT800 gripes mostly around electrical issues (they're way more complex than any GMT400) and probably more than half of them out there have an eternal CEL due to EVAP issues that are often more difficult to solve than they should be.

They're about as easy to steal as a GMT400 and are still high-theft vehicles to this day; the plastic exterior door handles don't inspire confidence. The thieves just knock the lock out of the handle; some of them just break the handle by forcibly yanking on it. Around Houston where auto theft is out of control, they even steal beat old work trucks. Get a Ravelco antitheft setup, it's about the only thing that will keep it yours.

Anyone living in rust belt areas will tell you the brake lines are made out of fairy dust that dissolves at the first hint of road salt.

They're good trucks.. styling is hit/miss depending on year and your personal tastes, to be sure.

Richard
Thanks for telling me. I do like their styling.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT800's are the cockroaches of the truck world; they'll probably be here long after we're all gone - thanks mostly to the durability of the early LS engines.

I've got my GMT800 gripes mostly around electrical issues (they're way more complex than any GMT400) and probably more than half of them out there have an eternal CEL due to EVAP issues that are often more difficult to solve than they should be.

They're about as easy to steal as a GMT400 and are still high-theft vehicles to this day; the plastic exterior door handles don't inspire confidence. The thieves just knock the lock out of the handle; some of them just break the handle by forcibly yanking on it. Around Houston where auto theft is out of control, they even steal beat old work trucks. Get a Ravelco antitheft setup, it's about the only thing that will keep it yours.

Anyone living in rust belt areas will tell you the brake lines are made out of fairy dust that dissolves at the first hint of road salt.

They're good trucks.. styling is hit/miss depending on year and your personal tastes, to be sure.

Richard
Ha fairy dust indeed.