1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Just wanted to say congrats on the work so far. Already looks a bazillion times better. something seems off on the WT grill though, iirc my dads was a darker metallic grey against white back in 99 when he bought his new?
Though I actually seem to like them even more when color matched.
either way just a random thought, and wanted to say congrats again.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Are going with semi’s? and if you are what are your plans for keeping the wheels tucked? Just curious because I’m about to pull the trigger on a set but I don’t want the townasty’s Or the super singles or big fenders. I know my options are limited. lol!
Going to throw this in as I have 22” semis that tuck.
Not to tinkle in your pool, but you have to pick one of the 3 If you are keeping your rearend Stock .

or supposedly go with a gmt400 drw chassis cab rear? Or NBS gmt800 3/4 ton rear instead seems to be a possible option If you are going air suspension and dont have hydro boost so you can NBS master swap to match It.

From what I can tell on mine (from Michaels Truck Works also over in phoenix where lowboy is) they are a more flat faced rear wheel compared to front. Not less deep or narrower, just lower offset and more squared off. That’s apparently what the Tennessee wheel people called the townasty. I’m thinking they are actually the steer wheel from a trash truck as those have a lower 4.5 vs 5.8 offset thus would tuck in tighter when flipped around as outers. Pretty sure they get slightly milled for the mating surfaces on inner and outer as well so they tuck tighter, ie you won’t be rotating wheels as you Will have 2x for each of the 3 positions (inner, outer,steer) assuming you choose something symmetrical like the big holes… or if like me with directional, all 6 wheels are different.
in my case my outers and steer are directionals, my inners are actually big hole but in black so you can’t really see them behind the directional! even up close.

what I have found out though, the semis plastic hub covers +spike Lug covers means the sun gets focused by the spikes into the cover & basically warps the surface of the big rear hub covers. They’re basically replace with another Chinesium set off Amazon every year or so if you live where it is sunny, or spend a bunch to get true aluminum sets.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say congrats on the work so far. Already looks a bazillion times better. something seems off on the WT grill though, iirc my dads was a darker metallic grey against white back in 99 when he bought his new?
Though I actually seem to like them even more when color matched.
either way just a random thought, and wanted to say congrats again.
Thanks! Ya I think it's been painted before but it's nicer than the first grill that was in it. It has like a greenish tint to it so idk if someone was trying to color match it or what.

I'm going to paint it black an sliver when I do the flares an wheels. Hopefully it turns out as good as it looks in my head lol.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to throw this in as I have 22” semis that tuck.
Not to tinkle in your pool, but you have to pick one of the 3 If you are keeping your rearend Stock .

or supposedly go with a gmt400 drw chassis cab rear? Or NBS gmt800 3/4 ton rear instead seems to be a possible option If you are going air suspension and dont have hydro boost so you can NBS master swap to match It.

From what I can tell on mine (from Michaels Truck Works also over in phoenix where lowboy is) they are a more flat faced rear wheel compared to front. Not less deep or narrower, just lower offset and more squared off. That’s apparently what the Tennessee wheel people called the townasty. I’m thinking they are actually the steer wheel from a trash truck as those have a lower 4.5 vs 5.8 offset thus would tuck in tighter when flipped around as outers. Pretty sure they get slightly milled for the mating surfaces on inner and outer as well so they tuck tighter, ie you won’t be rotating wheels as you Will have 2x for each of the 3 positions (inner, outer,steer) assuming you choose something symmetrical like the big holes… or if like me with directional, all 6 wheels are different.
in my case my outers and steer are directionals, my inners are actually big hole but in black so you can’t really see them behind the directional! even up close.
Kinda.
The townasty wheel was the first semi wheel that could tuck without wider fenders or a cab and chassis rear end. Tennessee wheel and tire were the first to bring this to market. They were called Townasty because of the truck they were first introduced on.
You must be registered for see images attach

You only had one pattern choice back then. Since then several others have figured out what works and there are several different choices of wheel that function in the same way.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That slammed square crew dually looks bada$$, and I think Hot Wheels did a version of the mini truck on the trailer (it looks very much like a casting they had).