1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's fun was a new multi function switch, a pass side door handle and one of those snazzy green belts. My quadstar fender lights showed up too so I'll try to get those in tomorrow.

I attempted to make the switch from my tilt column work but it was busted up worse than the one that was in the truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those panels actually came from my son's 95 truck that I posted earlier. I found a nicer set for it at a swap meet really cheap. They had the pocket with carpet but were still for manual doors. I put these in this dually because the front doors have been replaced with an older model set an had the earlier interior tan panels on it. So I scrounged up the correct inner panels as well so I could get the interior back to matching. They need redying pretty bad lol.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender lights installed today. I don't hate them so we will see how they last.

Also did a cap an rotor. They looked a little crusty but didn't do much for my hard warm restart. Oh well they needed done. We had done plugs an wires because it was throwing random misfires but no one wanted to do the cap. It sucks on these 454s for sure.

I had also went an got paint an supplies to do the wheels, grill, wiper arms etc. The wind has been a constant 8 mph today though...

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Only 8? It’s been 35-50 here today, lol.

but seriously I understand. If you’ve got a folding table set it up in the garage, that’s what I have to do here. there is never not *some* wind here.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh the drive tonight after the new cap an rotor gave me a P0175, just my luck. Hopefully it just a wire not seated well or something. Maybe a vacuum line I bumped or pinched.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Fender lights installed today. I don't hate them so we will see how they last.

Also did a cap an rotor. They looked a little crusty but didn't do much for my hard warm restart. Oh well they needed done. We had done plugs an wires because it was throwing random misfires but no one wanted to do the cap. It sucks on these 454s for sure.
If you have a Vortec 454, and are suffering hard to start when hot/warm, I guarantee it's the injectors. Well known issue, they leak down and flood out the motor. 5.0 Motorsports has a good set that are an updated Bosch injector, or with some tuning you can use LS injectors.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a Vortec 454, and are suffering hard to start when hot/warm, I guarantee it's the injectors. Well known issue, they leak down and flood out the motor. 5.0 Motorsports has a good set that are an updated Bosch injector, or with some tuning you can use LS injectors.
Ya I'm pretty sure that's what it is to but I was hoping they would go for just a little longer lol

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of rebuilding the old NV4500, you might think about swapping it for a newer Tremec TR-4050. They are designed to be a nearly straight swap, have more advanced syncros, making shifting easier, and can take more torque. The swap will undoubtedly cost more than a rebuild, but you get a better transmission in the end.
So I've been digging into this an at the moment the GM 2wd version (an probably all 4wd from what I can find) are only available with a 6.16 first gear ratio. They do list a 5.81 set but its for Fords. Apparently it isnt compatible an they have no plans to make a 5.81 GM version at the moment. So I guess the 4500 is getting a rebuild after all since the gearing in it is already to tall an I don't need to make it worse. I was already considering a rear axle swap to 3.42 or even 3.21 since this things days of hauling more than a single car trailer are pretty much done.